How your brain creates reality, explained by a neuroscientist

Unusual Experiences, Reincarnation, Philosophy, Religion, Science, Everyday Life
anthonychipoletti

How your brain creates reality, explained by a neuroscientist

Post by anthonychipoletti »

We are free, freedom meaning we can identify ourselves in any way we imagine.

Imagination empowers our own existence, the freedom to define our experiences.

To me, there is no preconceived meaning or causation, we are free to define life.
Giulia
Site Admin

Re: How your brain creates reality, explained by a neuroscientist

Post by Giulia »

Hi Tony,

Thanks for raising the topic of how our brains create reality. I found the article you shared to be very thought-provoking.

The author, Lisa Feldman Barrett, argues that our perception of reality is not an exact representation of the objective truth but rather a combination of sensory inputs and the brain's interpretation of these signals. She states that this interpretation is influenced by past experiences and is often predictive, with the brain creating categories of similar instances to anticipate future events.

For example, if you hear a loud bang, your brain doesn't know what caused it. It has to use its past experiences to make a guess. If you've heard car backfires before, you might guess that's what it is. But if you've never heard a car backfire, you might guess that it's something else, like a gunshot.

The author also discusses how our brains can create social reality. This is when we collectively assign functions or meanings to objects or concepts that don't inherently possess them. For example, we agree that money has value, even though it's just pieces of paper. We also agree that borders and citizenship have meaning, even though they're just social constructs.

The author argues that our brains have a wonderful capacity for imagination. This allows us to create new things that we've never experienced before. However, it can also be a double-edged sword. If we're too caught up in our imaginations, it can be difficult to stay in the present moment.

Now, about this point, I do not agree. I believe imagination is a great tool in helping us shift from a materialistic analysis of our experiences to a spiritual understanding of them. The latter need not be deemed “inaccurate” but “subjective” and, with consciousness experiences as discussed in the case of STEs, a reminder that we belong to a much greater reality than physical matter. I also feel that staying in the present moment, by practicing mindfulness for instance, can help us use imagination for spiritual purposes.

Whatever the case may be, I think this article is a great reminder that our perception of reality is not always what we call “objective”. It's important to be aware of the role that our brains play in shaping our experiences. We should also be mindful of the power of social reality. The meanings that we assign to things can have a profound impact on our lives.

Thanks again for sharing this article. It's definitely food for thought.