Mission Statment

click me to Open or Close
"This is a non-profit, non-denominational and apolitical online discussion site, designed to support research and study of consciousness experiences, such as near death experiences and other spiritually transformative experiences, support experiencers and spread the message of love, unity and peace around the world. We do not allow proselytizing or bullying (please refer to our Joining Rules). We welcome and encourage people of all backgrounds, nationalities, countries and/or religions to bring up any topic they feel fit for this place and to read and participate in the conversations held here, in a relaxed and friendly atmosphere."
Unusual Experiences, Philosophy,Hinduism, Buddhism, Reincarnation
13 posts Page 1 of 1
Maybe a little off the subject of this forum, but here it goes... We consider there's a God, there's an afterlife... so there are things that bring us closer to God and things that take us away from God.
Sexual morality
Do you think people need to have a sexual morality or is it ok to be promiscuous as long as you use condoms?
Going to a prostitute to fulfil your fantasies would be ok?
My opinion is that STD's may be a signal from God that he hates promiscuity, but I'd like to hear other people's opinions.
I was raised to a very strict code of sexual morality, no sex before marriage, no divorce, sex means marriage, masturbation is a sin, just thinking of sex (outside of marriage) constitutes a sin, etc etc...
As a young person it was hard for me to reconcile my physical body and its natural (as in defined by its very nature) desires with these unbreakable and unbearable rules.
The terrible conflict this caused is what saved me from fundamentalism.

The way I Iook at such rules today (and any question on rules, implicit or explicit) is by asking some tough questions "Why was this rule invented?" and "Who benefits?"...

A lot of the sexual rules in the Bible and most of our Judeo-Christian inspired cultures were written in times when the tribe or extended family was the defining social unit. The rules were to prevent sexual violence and the inevitable revenge from decimating the population.

One other factor which has become so normal for us that we hardly notice its influence is birth control. Just a couple of generations ago, having sex would often lead to pregnancy. In our times we have come to think of sex as almost just another way to pass the time, like eating at a good restaurant or watching a movie. Not so long ago it would lead to having a child or an abortion; pretty darn serious consequences!

Considering the above I'd say that the reason for most of those rules is to protect people against pregnancy and the serious responsibilities that brings with it and to protect the 'clan' against perceived dishonor, jealousy and the resulting violence brought on by sex with someone else's husband or wife. In short, if anything harmed the clan, it was quickly forbidden.
To all, God is some good, but to some God is all good.

In the book of Joshua, we are introduced to one of the heroines of the Old Testament. Rahab, the prostitute of the Canaanite city of Jericho, ultimately is noteworthy for her great faith and for her place in the lineage of Jesus Christ.

So if God wants you, then you're it !

“The LORD said to Hosea, ‘Go, take to yourself a wife of whoredom and have children of whoredom.’” Hosea obeyed, marrying a woman named Gomer, who was unfaithful to him.
- Hosea 1:2
===================================
" I will have mercy on whom I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion." - Exodus 33:19
When I was in the evangelical church they also told me masturbation was a sin, also sex outside marriage, all these sins punishable with hell, etc. For sometime I followed it but then I realized that fundamentalism was totally wrong (and not even because of the rules for sex, what made me get out of it was its teaching that only religious people would be saved when I saw there was so many good people that were not religious).

But suppose you're single and for some reason you don't want to or you can't get involved with anyone... Could you go to prostitutes and still claim to have a spiritual life? What I'm trying to ask is: What is the apropriate sexual morality one should have? (We know the fundamentalists are wrong in restricting everything, but no restrictions at all is another thing). Is chastity something worth of value and respect? OR you are just wasting your time cause sex is too good and life is too short? (OK, we all are firm believers in the afterlife, but flesh, sex, these things, don't belong there, as far as I know).
The fact of the matter is that life involves struggle and based on NDE reports, I believe that it is one of the reasons we are even here (ie, in this life in a physical body).

Reproduction is one of the eleven life functions which define that a thing is alive. Who is to say that we should or can have total mastery over our primary physical make up/needs (particularly on an instantaneous basis)?

Can you stop eating and excreting (as these are among the eleven life functions also)? How can one then not expect to not have sexual urges ?

Heed the advice of Lois J. Wetzel (in her recent book "Reincarnation: Past Lives and the Akaashic Record") when she explains how client’s focus on shame, guilt, inadequacy, envy, betrayal, greed, self-importance – any of a host of all too human emotional reactions – obfuscates the simple lesson to be learned in a lifetime. She talks about the difference between forgiving and forgetting, and how failure to forgive turns a set of actions and a group of other souls into a never-ending carousel ride inside a hall of mirrors.
=================================================================
- Ref a
The biggest problem I have with prostitution is that it often involves some form of mis-use of people. Here in the Netherlands, where I live prostitution is legal and so is sollicitation etc. But the news is full of stories of human trafficking and (sometimes very young) girls forced to have sex with strangers. This is no industry I would like to sponsor with my money, there is so much wrong with it that it just can't be right.
Very interesting subject. My ideas are different (whose aren't?). I think a person who is in tune with God/Spirituality/whatever is not all that interested in what is termed as "immoral sex", loves their partner (if they have one) with no interest in screwing around on them, and has little or no need to satisfy themselves physically with prostitutes, girl/boy friends, whatever. They are already fulfilled as a spiritual being in a human form. As we all know sex is not much different than a drugs, alcohol, extreme sports such as bungie jumping to "feel alive", or other crazy things many folks to enhance their emotional feelings.

As for prostitutes I am not sure when it comes to those who use others for their own benefit knowing that "John" may be married to enhance their budget, or to steal from their wallets while they sleep, etc. But I AM sure that a woman, in Sudan let's say, who has NO other way to feed her children and survive other than by selling sex, and possibly knows of nothing else due to logistical circumstances, cannot really be held as a "sinner" IMO. I mean if you live in Africa, your husband has been killed, you have 3 kids and are starving....what else can you do?

To expound more on the above, what if a girl (or boy) is raised by a prostitute who trains them to do just that? Poor kid has no other thing they know in life as a means of living.

As for the "don't do this or you'll grow hair on your palms" thing....well....it's better than going to a prostitute and spending money and taking chance on a disease a pill doesn't cure.

We are to judge ourselves I'm to understand. So our reasons for what we do will be our own issue to judge before a Holy God/Supreme Being in the end. "Nuff said. ;)
Let me add I was brought up in the church with the very, strict rules for sex and everything else. Yet was quite wild as a teenager due to the hypocrisy I saw in that church and of course broke all of those "rules"....a lot. Now that I'm older I cringe at 99% of what I did and how I approached life. Nearly all my points of view have changed. But I realize had I not lived in such a way I'd have no bearing to weigh the difference in my life as it were then and as it is now.

Of course we need to procreate or mankind would perish, and I realize one isn't hell-bound because they've had sex outside of marriage. May as well say anyone who's shot and killed someone whether due to anger or self-defense is going to hell as well without regard to why. I'm sure motive behind anything makes it good or bad in the grand scope. Not the thing itself.

Hope you folks don't mind me blurting in, but I've no one to converse with who isn't totally "churchified", or simply isn't interested in both church or anything spiritual whatsoever. I live in a small town...that I LOVE...but anything outside of Baptist, Pentecostal Holiness, Episcopalian, etc. is considered "out there". For example at the dentist the lady assisting him was complaining about stress. I told her she should meditate and I got a look as if I'd told her she should kill her first born child :( So I can only read online blogs, or keep it to myself which has been the only choice many years running.
Hope you folks don't mind me blurting in, but I've no one to converse with who isn't totally "churchified", or simply isn't interested in both church or anything spiritual whatsoever. I live in a small town...that I LOVE...but anything outside of Baptist, Pentecostal Holiness, Episcopalian, etc. is considered "out there". For example at the dentist the lady assisting him was complaining about stress. I told her she should meditate and I got a look as if I'd told her she should kill her first born child :( So I can only read online blogs, or keep it to myself which has been the only choice many years running.

you are not alone in having no one to talk to as most NDE'rs have felt the same way for years until the internet introduced the ability to speak anonymously .

That is one of the main reasons behind this forum and that is to give people the chance to BLURT as you call it

So feel free to Blurt away to your hearts content

Why Am I Here

One Look Dictionary
Thank you Garry and I will while trying to be respectful and holding back any judgements. Am doing much better lately with that aspect of my life. We're all products of our upbringing/environment.

I can only imagine how hard it must be for any who experienced an NDE on that higher plain to relate to most anyone. People can be so closed minded. I used to be, but now realize that's a dead end street.

As for no one to talk to my issue is 3 fold. Small town, raised in the church and having to "unlearn" many ideas, plus I work from home full time (for which I'm extremely grateful BTW). So I don't see anyone other than my husband unless I drive to town.

Certainly folks come and go from this forum, but hopefully if I come in often I'll start to forge friendships of a sort with others who are willing to post.

Being this is a large site with numerous topics you'll be seeing me all over asking questions and such. Have a great evening :!:
DennisMe wrote: The biggest problem I have with prostitution is that it often involves some form of mis-use of people. Here in the Netherlands, where I live prostitution is legal and so is sollicitation etc. But the news is full of stories of human trafficking and (sometimes very young) girls forced to have sex with strangers. This is no industry I would like to sponsor with my money, there is so much wrong with it that it just can't be right.

It's a really tough issue. I don't think there are any perfect laws in place anywhere that do an adequate job of protecting women and children from human trafficking. In some places, they only charge the customers and treat the prostitutes as victims of a crime. But even that doesn't seem to stop abuses, because it often forces the prostitutes to meet the Johns in even more dangerous and secretive situations.
I think the number one priority is to simply care. Care for the prostitute and for the john alike. Why should we pick sides all the time. Judgement is a big factor in picking sides if you ask me. If we can suspend our judgement we can start to care about the person or people involved. There are processes in this world and there are people. We need to focus on the people not the process. If we are to "love thine enemy", which I believe is a noble thing to strive for, just caring is a great start.
Hi Dennis,

I agree judging is bad and used to be that way all too much myself, but came to realize how self-destructive that attitude is/was and have progressed greatly in not doing so.

When I catch myself I put my thoughts in check and "repent" (or however one deals with it), of that judgment because I have guilt and sins of my own to account for. NO need to pile on foolish judgments of others to account for at well.

I believe it's important to discern things in life instead. When I cannot I wait until the understand light flashes to on. If it doesn't I don't try to figure it out for long because it will reveal itself one day if I'm meant to know.

This world seems to crave judgment on others. My dad would tell me most judge to alleviate their own guilt and/or make themselves feel better/morally "higher" and put themselves in "the right" rather than realizing what's going on in their own hearts and head which is what we truly are responsible for in the end. So when I feel that judgment thing I try to figure out what it is in myself making me uncomfortable. It often comes back to something I did in my "wild" rebellious youth, or because of something that was done to me where I never really forgave/stopped holding it against the other person.

I'm glad I found this site. So far most posts are quite interesting, informative, and seemingly honest.
13 posts Page 1 of 1