Mission Statment

click me to Open or Close
"This is a non-profit, non-denominational and apolitical online discussion site, designed to support research and study of consciousness experiences, such as near death experiences and other spiritually transformative experiences, support experiencers and spread the message of love, unity and peace around the world. We do not allow proselytizing or bullying (please refer to our Joining Rules). We welcome and encourage people of all backgrounds, nationalities, countries and/or religions to bring up any topic they feel fit for this place and to read and participate in the conversations held here, in a relaxed and friendly atmosphere."
Out-of-Body Experience
6 posts Page 1 of 1
If anyone here is interested in learning in depth about Reincarnation, a semester long course is available.

Here is the website:

http://jamesgmatlock.net/signs-of-reincarnation/

Signs of Reincarnation is a 15-week (semester-long) advanced undergraduate or Master's-level graduate seminar course offered online through The Alvarado Zingrone Institute for Research and Education (http://theazire.org/moodle). It is an inter-disciplinary offering that covers all aspects of reincarnation research and theory.

Our central concern is how to understand the phenomenon of past-life memory and related behavioral and physical signs of reincarnation. We will be especially concerned with young children who have recalled previous lives.

Systematic research on reincarnation claims began with Ian Stevenson 50 years ago and is continued today by Erlendur Haraldsson, Antonia Mills, and Jim B. Tucker, among others. Their research is surprisingly little known, but together it makes it hard to deny that reincarnation occurs—although you don’t have to take my word for it! You will not only be reading orginal lectures and published studies but discussing and debating them with each other. The course is self-paced with an estimated time commitment of 6-8 hours per week, including discussion periods.

Unit 1: Introduction to the Study of Reincarnation Signs

Unit 2: The Belief in Reincarnation

Unit 3: Research Styles and Interpretative Frames

Unit 4: Child Studies: Episodic Memories, Statements and Recognitions

Unit 5: Child Studies: Behavioral Signs of Reincarnation

Unit 6: Child Studies: Physical Signs of Reincarnation

Unit 7: Child Studies: The Interval Between Death and Rebirth

Unit 8: Child Studies: Cross-Cultural and Cross-Historical Patterns

Unit 9: Child Studies: The Psychology of Past-Life Memory

Unit 10: From Child to Adult: The Developmental Continuum

Unit 11: Past-Life Memory in Induced States of Consciousness

Unit 12: The Contributions of Shamans, Psychics and Mediums

Unit 13: Mind/Brain Relations, Survival of Death and Reincarnation

Unit 14: Postmortem Survival and Reincarnation: Philosophical Concerns

Unit 15: The Process of Reincarnation

The course will next be offered beginning January 4, 2016. Students at Saybrook University may arrange to take it for credit.

Syllabus View a more complete course description with a unit-by-unit (week-by-week) outline of requirements.

Evaluations Read comments on the course by previous students.

Questions? Write to me at jgmatlock@yahoo.com.

Register. Registration for the Spring, 2016, session will begin on December 28, 2015. The registration fee is $300.
Thanks Ace,

I'm interested in reincaration. I think it accounts for a lot of our talents, phobias, reactions, etc. Did you see the story about the kid in India who said a man in a neighboring village had killed him once, and the man.... confessed! :o
Jem7 wrote: Thanks Ace,

I'm interested in reincaration. I think it accounts for a lot of our talents, phobias, reactions, etc. Did you see the story about the kid in India who said a man in a neighboring village had killed him once, and the man.... confessed! :o

I think I have heard about a case like that.

I was surprised to find out how thoroughly Ian Stevenson and Jim Tucker investigated many case of reincarnation. There is some excellent scholarly work in this area of research. Here's an old lecture by Dr Stevenson in which he covers many interesting cases of ostensible reincarnation. NDE researcher Bruce Greyson can be seen in the audience.

Yeah, the problem is even if there are some really nice cases, a lot of spkeptics will just say that you're crazy, people are lying, etc. The more I live, the more I think data doesn't change people, something else does -something more subtle and hard to define. There's that famous phrases "for those who have ears that can listen.. " Some information resonates with some people, others not. I guess that's why otherwise smart people argue about opinions. They see similar information, but accept or reject it differently.
Misha wrote: Yeah, the problem is even if there are some really nice cases, a lot of spkeptics will just say that you're crazy, people are lying, etc. The more I live, the more I think data doesn't change people, something else does -something more subtle and hard to define. There's that famous phrases "for those who have ears that can listen.. " Some information resonates with some people, others not. I guess that's why otherwise smart people argue about opinions. They see similar information, but accept or reject it differently.

Misha, I agree that some people seem almost willfully blind to the data. Cognitive Dissonance takes over when we see things that don't fit our model of how the universe operates. That's why paradigm change is such a difficult thing to achieve.
Misha wrote: Yeah, the problem is even if there are some really nice cases, a lot of spkeptics will just say that you're crazy, people are lying, etc. The more I live, the more I think data doesn't change people, something else does -something more subtle and hard to define. There's that famous phrases "for those who have ears that can listen.. " Some information resonates with some people, others not. I guess that's why otherwise smart people argue about opinions. They see similar information, but accept or reject it differently.

Since early childhood we have been so indoctrinated to shun 'strange', 'unusual', 'weird' things, and told that they are impossible, that it is difficult to get rid of those opinions. I'm more enclined to believe in my own experiences than in what 'experts', 'professionals' and other 'savant' people tell me. Here the thing that made me free and what decided that I would use my own brains and to trust in myself.
50 years ago I read in a magazine that a medical professor found out that babys were unable to feel pain because he thought that their nerves were to thin to be able to lead pain impulses. I never believed it. It was at that moment that I knew for sure that a person can be as learned as ever possible and still be stupid. The terrible thing about that was that many doctors worldwide have performed surgery on babys without anesthesia because they believed what they were told. And I don't want to think about the pain those children suffered if they survived it.
6 posts Page 1 of 1