Mission Statment

click me to Open or Close
"This is a non-profit, non-denominational and apolitical online discussion site, designed to support research and study of consciousness experiences, such as near death experiences and other spiritually transformative experiences, support experiencers and spread the message of love, unity and peace around the world. We do not allow proselytizing or bullying (please refer to our Joining Rules). We welcome and encourage people of all backgrounds, nationalities, countries and/or religions to bring up any topic they feel fit for this place and to read and participate in the conversations held here, in a relaxed and friendly atmosphere."
After-Death-Communication Nearing End of Life, Death Bed Visions, After Death Communication
3 posts Page 1 of 1
Hi All.

For those who may have seen my post a while back, I got given the opportunity to visit a spiritualist for a ready. She was highly recommended. I went yesterday (Saturday 30th Jan. 1pm GMT).

This is just a review of the meeting. I will say that it contains a swear word. This is because its a review of the meeting and it came up with some significance.

I'll call the spirit reader Jane.

Jane asked me to bring along a photo of who i wanted to connect with. She started off telling me a bit about how she passed and the condition of her before passing. This person was my gran who unfortunately was batting alzheimer's for about 15 years. This wasn't mentioned as i thought it would have been. I got some very, what i would call, generic statements about Being good in life and don't worry it will be alright - those sort of things.

A few names were mentioned, including my grans sister who was coming though from the spirit world but is very much alive here with us - at the time i thought something might have happened to her since the last time i saw her and this was her way of telling me she had passed! That would have been a very convincing statement.

The only real thing i got from the visit was something my gran (dads mum) said that my dad would say about the whole thing. She said
"Your Gran's telling me that your dad would have said "This is a load of shite" and i don't normally swear but this is the way your grans telling me to say it"
This is so accurate. My dad would have said it the exact same way that she told me. Now either this can be a coincidence or it was my gran coming through.

I was also told that I have a spiritual ability and that it will come to be when I'm ready for it. I did say that, as most people sometimes do, have the feeling that a pair of eyes are on me. Jane told me that if i suddenly say Hello I shouldn't be surprised if someone says Hello back. Don't quite know how id react to that, however it is an interesting observation to make of me.

All in all I was pleased but not amazed. I went in with such an open mind looking to be convinced. Was I? Nope not really. Do i still believe? Of course I do. Perhaps i need a bit more than generic statements.

I wish i'd recorded the meeting as I've forgotten a lot of the details but i just really wanted to put something down on paper (or internet).

I really welcome any questions you may have.
Life moves pretty fast. If you don’t stop and look around once in awhile, you could miss it.

Hi, David. I am sorry this is late.

I am extremely interested in the topic of professional mediumship, at least as it is understood by the Spiritualist’s National Union in the UK, because over the 1994-1996 period I had the opportunity to witness hundreds of readings as I was acting as an interpreter for them, both in the UK and here in Italy, and this conveyed some additional first-hand understanding about how mediumship works. Because of this interest, I have been in touch with a number of them ever since.

David wrote: Jane asked me to bring along a photo of who i wanted to connect with. She started off telling me a bit about how she passed and the condition of her before passing. This person was my gran who unfortunately was batting alzheimer's for about 15 years. This wasn't mentioned as i thought it would have been. I got some very, what i would call, generic statements about Being good in life and don't worry it will be alright - those sort of things.

One thing the various spiritualist mediums I have known recommend is that you do not convey any information about yourself or any disincarnate loved ones you would like to connect with, beforehand, because that would prevent them from making a genuine contact themselves. The only case in which pictures are usually required are distance readings, and that would be your own picture, to help the medium connect with you.

I guess it is OK to bring in a picture, but I also understand that showing Jane a picture of your gran and telling her she had passed might have prevented her from independently establishing a connection with your gran. This is maybe why the first part of the reading sounds like what you would call a cold reading, something a mentalist could easily do without even being psychic. This is a pity, and it needn't happen next time.

David wrote: A few names were mentioned, including my grans sister who was coming though from the spirit world but is very much alive here with us - at the time i thought something might have happened to her since the last time i saw her and this was her way of telling me she had passed! That would have been a very convincing statement.

If Jane got the name of your gran’s sister, she might have been working on a psychic level or it could have been a coincidence. Sometimes mediums hear names or part of names and then need to place them. This does not sound to be a successful case.

David wrote: The only real thing i got from the visit was something my gran (dads mum) said that my dad would say about the whole thing. She said
"Your Gran's telling me that your dad would have said "This is a load of shite" and i don't normally swear but this is the way your grans telling me to say it"
This is so accurate. My dad would have said it the exact same way that she told me. Now either this can be a coincidence or it was my gran coming through.

This is of course the most interesting part of the reading. If this is accurate, then maybe Jane actually has a potential, but this statement seems to confirm the impression that on the whole you got a cold reading.

David wrote: I was also told that I have a spiritual ability and that it will come to be when I'm ready for it. I did say that, as most people sometimes do, have the feeling that a pair of eyes are on me. Jane told me that if i suddenly say Hello I shouldn't be surprised if someone says Hello back. Don't quite know how id react to that, however it is an interesting observation to make of me.

All in all I was pleased but not amazed. I went in with such an open mind looking to be convinced. Was I? Nope not really. Do i still believe? Of course I do. Perhaps i need a bit more than generic statements.

I agree that, if you are interested, it would be nice if you saught the services of a professional medium, because again this information is generic, but, if it comes after some really good evidence that the medium is connecting with the Spirit World, it would become much more significant for you.

David wrote: I wish i'd recorded the meeting as I've forgotten a lot of the details but i just really wanted to put something down on paper (or internet).

This is something I always find very helpful (taking notes or recording). So often you get the evidence only months’ later (because the information is coming from out of time) or as a result of somebody else in the family or in your entourage being able to confirm information you did not personally know about. These are excellent pieces of evidence, as they rule out the merely psychic aspect.

It is my understanding that all mediums are psychic but not all psychics are mediums. And when I say "psychic" what I mean is "exceptionally psychic", as it is my feeling that we are all psychic to some degree. Also, you can have an excellent potential for mediumship, but if you do not get adequate and professional training, you do not get to develop this talent.

Last but not least, mediums are human. Over the years, I have found that very good mediums can have ups and downs, in their career, depending on their health and on the level of stress in their lives. This is why, according to a number of organisations, they are not supposed to do more than a certain number of readings a day, and this is also why they do need to take breaks, as they are exposed to occupational burnout as is typically found within human service professions.

On the whole I find this is a fascinating world and was wondering whether anything Jane said has actually made sense to you since the time of your reading in January.

I am also interested in hearing whether you are thinking of having a go with someone else.
Hello from Italy - How I found out about NDERF - A Strange Experience
On the whole I didn't really come away from this reading thinking it was fantastic. I'm very skeptic on the idea of mediumship. Thats not to say I dont believe it. I just need to be shown proof.

I will definitely have another reading by someone else if it ever comes up.

This area really fascinates me.

Whats your thoughts and experiences with this?
Life moves pretty fast. If you don’t stop and look around once in awhile, you could miss it.

3 posts Page 1 of 1