Mission Statment

click me to Open or Close
"This is a non-profit, non-denominational and apolitical online discussion site, designed to support research and study of consciousness experiences, such as near death experiences and other spiritually transformative experiences, support experiencers and spread the message of love, unity and peace around the world. We do not allow proselytizing or bullying (please refer to our Joining Rules). We welcome and encourage people of all backgrounds, nationalities, countries and/or religions to bring up any topic they feel fit for this place and to read and participate in the conversations held here, in a relaxed and friendly atmosphere."
Out-of-Body Experience
22 posts Page 1 of 1
I am starting a dedicated topic on the subject to address questions arising from this thread: http://nderf.me/post6661.html#p6661. I’d love for anyone who is interested in the subject to join in and share their experience.

As to the questions that were asked:

michellekia wrote: Thanks for sharing. If you have any info on how to become a medium? If that is possible? Please post it.

I am guessing it is something that you may naturally have.

My male cousin who passed away communicated with me in dreams in the past.

20 July, 2016

Hi, michellekia.

As far as I have been able to establish after a few years working as a translator for professional mediums, and also attending online courses, it is not just a matter of having a natural gift (so to speak), but of being brought up in a helpful environment that does not dismiss and/or discourage these experiences so that you can develop self-confidence, and finding an adequate training environment, such as a senior medium or a school of mediumship.

I have read several stories of natural mediums being bullied by their peers as children, simply because they could not tell the difference between what everyone else could perceive and what they could perceive. Some make it in the end, others don’t, but I have noticed that this also depends on one’s passion and perseverance, and also on being able to afford the challenge of mixing with other naturally gifted people. I guess that naturally gifted mediums who have had to face self-esteem issues may need to make an extra effort to recover their confidence, as confidence in your insights is one of the first things I have heard lectures and workshops on mediumship address (again I was working as a translator).

On the other hand, as I have already mentioned, I also believe that we (the universe, our planet, mankind, animals, nature, and so on) are all made out of the same raw material, so to speak, - what we usually refer to as “spirit” - and that we are all able to connect with each other if we are open to communication, motivated, in harmony with each other, not distracted by everyday concerns and not in deep pain or grief. I have found that both deep grief and scepticism can (even though not necessarily) act as a barrier to communication, and that the stronger the passion for the possibility of staying in touch with our loved ones irrespective of physical death, the stronger the opportunities. In fact, I have come to the conclusiong that our passions may well be signs that show us our path.

I have also known people who suddenly seemed to open up to this gift as adults. At that point, once again, the challenge may arise as to the need to face and mix with other gifted and trained mediums, and not everyone is available to or can afford the challenge, though the Internet is making things much easier in these days, as training sessions are offered through Skype and other reasonably affordable methods.

There also are fascinating books to read, such as the biography of well-known mediums. One that comes to mind is On the Side of Angels: Authorised Life Story, by Gordon Higginson (Tudor Press; 1st Edition edition - Mar. 1993). Another volume I have found of interest is a booklet by Harry Edwards, Guide for the Development of Mediumship, first published in the '60s and possibly only available in libraries and used book stores. Both deal with older styles of mediumship, but definitely touch on the basics. In fact, I have noticed a shift over the years from “physical mediumship”, where the medium and the circle sitters produce phenomena such as ectoplasms and direct voice, and other forms of “deep-trance” mediumship, where the medium is often unconscious and produces messages through automatic writing or voice recordings, to a light-trance form of mediumship, where the medium is conscious and able to connect with disincarnates and convey information to the sitter at the same time.

In my case, with OBEs, lucid dreaming and the like, reading about other people’s experiences proved very helpful, also in order to understand what I was really interested in.

I now look forward to hearing about your experiences, michellekia.

Natalie wrote:
You mention that you have translated for mediums. How were these experiences for you. Did they feel like natural conversations or was there an intense element to them. It must be incredible to witness communication between those here and those on the other side.

28 July, 2016

Hi, Natalie.

The private sittings and public demonstrations of mediumship I have witnessed generally fell in the light-trance category I mentioned above. In private sittings in particular, the mediums used to seek a relaxed state in order to focus on the sitter (they were not allowed to hold more than a certain number of sittings a day, in order not to be depleted, as with any other job that is emotionally demanding). They explained that the session was an experiment and that there was no guarantee that a specific loved one would come through. The sitter was invited to say nothing about him/herself, but just provide “yes”/”no”/”I don’t know” feedback up to the very end of the session, when feedback is welcome. The sitter was also invited to take notes or record the reading, as things could be said that the sitter may not remember of even be aware of at the moment, but could check with other people at a later stage (the latter is in my opinion the best type of evidence, as it rules out psychic/telepathic communication between the medium and the sitter).

Even though a distinction is usually made between objective and subjective communication, I must say I have always seen the mediums I worked with use the latter. On the other hand, I have known of absolutely “ordinary” people who caught an absolutely objective glimpse of deceased loved ones with the corner of their eye (there is a scientific explanation for the corner of the eye being involved, though I would need to carry out some research on the subject) when they were fully awake and engaged in everyday chores.

There is plenty of literature on how subjective mediumship works, but the way it came across to me was that the medium would sense a connection with a specific person, coming across with the feeling of say mother, father, grandparent, child, friend, etc., coming across with physically recognisable features, certain clothes or ways that were distinctive, or even a full name. Once the sitter acknowledged that they understood who the person was, the medium would continue, by providing evidence which could range from shared memories, evidence that the deceased is aware of things happening in the sitter’s life (these could involve a lot of emotion) and possibly some advice the deceased felt a desire to offer.

Foretelling the future was strictly forbidden, but if something was already in the works and the deceased felt the need to offer encouragement about it, then that could occasionally pop out.

So, to go back to your question, Natalie, these felt more like a natural exchange between the medium and the deceased (which can also come through the use of symbols) and then between the medium and the sitter. The intense element was usually there when the evidence was absolutely unquestionable, and words of love and encouragement and constant care were exchanged, as this proved always very emotional for all the parties involved (the deceased, the medium, the sitter and the translator).

I hope this answers your questions and look forward to anyone who is willing to share their experiences with mediumship to joining in.
Hello from Italy - How I found out about NDERF - A Strange Experience
Hi Giulia,

Regarding mediumship/channeling entities and the like, with your experience, can you usually identify mediums who, in your belief, are legitimately genuine, as opposed to those that may be trying to take advantage of the situation?
And if so, have you encountered many questionable mediums, or have they been, for the most part, honest and sincere in their work?

And (another question :P) do any of these mediums you've worked with use ouija boards, or is that considered a taboo item for most? I ask because of the many stories from individuals that say they wish they never used one, since it seemed to open up a doorway for dark entities to come through. As if by just showing an interest in contacting the spirit world, attracts ANY and ALL forms of different spirits. I am sure that well-experienced mediums would know how to ward and protect against such encounters, but was just curious what your opinion is on this matter. (I have never touched a ouija board in my life and don't intend to, but know that a lady named Jane Roberts used it to originally contact an entity named Seth, and from there stopped needing it and was able to channel Seth during many different sessions.)

Thanks for any input. : )
prismreverie wrote: Regarding mediumship/channeling entities and the like, with your experience, can you usually identify mediums who, in your belief, are legitimately genuine, as opposed to those that may be trying to take advantage of the situation?

My experience as a translator was only related to working with professionally trained mediums, and, based on that experience, all I can say is that mediums are human, and when they do not feel up to carrying out the task, for whatever reason, including being tired, or sick, or simply when the reader is sceptic or (even worse) pretending he/she is somebody else, just to test whether the medium will find out, then chances are that a genuine medium will admit that the session is not working, and, depending the circumstances, either return whatever fee has been paid for the session or offer to have a colleague handle it.

Also, I have noticed that mediums are human in that they can go through ups and downs or even lose their gift: I would expect a genuine person to simply admit it and take a break or even retire, depending on the circumstances.

All I can suggest about the tricks mentalists and/or merely psychic people use to produce a cold reading is that they try and obtain information from the sitter which, combined with a skilful interpretation of body language, allows them to present the reader with leading questions, based on which they get further material to produce what may look like a reading.

One thing that was often stated during the lectures and workshops I witnessed was:
All mediums are psychic, but not all psychic are mediums.

prismreverie wrote: And (another question :P) do any of these mediums you've worked with use ouija boards, or is that considered a taboo item for most? I ask because of the many stories from individuals that say they wish they never used one, since it seemed to open up a doorway for dark entities to come through. As if by just showing an interest in contacting the spirit world, attracts ANY and ALL forms of different spirits. I am sure that well-experienced mediums would know how to ward and protect against such encounters, but was just curious what your opinion is on this matter. (I have never touched a ouija board in my life and don't intend to, but know that a lady named Jane Roberts used it to originally contact an entity named Seth, and from there stopped needing it and was able to channel Seth during many different sessions.)

I remember one night on which six trained mediums used an ouija board simply to show us how it worked. It was the closing event after a week devoted to learning about mediumship and there were several hundred students watching. Then something unexpected happened: the mediums ended up receiving a private message which was only meant for team, so we only got to hear the first few words.

Speaking about ouija boards, I forgot to mention some fine books I read back in the ‘80s by Sanaja Roman, a deep trance medium who worked at the time with a guide called Orin. In her book Living with Joy (H.J. Kramer inc, 1986) she explains how her gift developed, and the role the ouija board played for her under the supervision of a friend and tutour. I see ouija boards as a more primitive form of automatic writing, which in Sanaya’s case developed into deep trance voice recordings, which she would remember nothing about when she played them back.

About the taboo issue, in my humble opinion, the basics are always the same, in whatever branch of mediumship or channelling. Like attracts like. If one is a well-meaning researcher, who has a genuine loving heart and is working with an experienced supervisor, asking for the highest spiritual advice with full confidence in the outcome, mischievous entities (including one’s own fearful subpersonalities) will automatically be rejected. However, if one is simply playing around with the purpose of having fun and without supervision, then one may be exposing oneself to similar playful entities or mischievous/fearful subpersonalities.

Once again, this is just my personal opinion, based on personal experience.
Giulia, thank you so much for starting this topic and for your wonderful detailed information.

The subject of mediumship is intriguing and fascinating. The idea of being able to communicate with the loved ones on the other side sounds very comforting. I wonder how detailed are these " conversations". What factors would make it easier for a loved one to come through and not so well for another.
You mentioned that foretelling the future is strictly forbidden, why do think this is?

I had an experience many years ago, although I don't think this falls under mediumship It was still fascinating to me.
A friend invited me to go to her friends house. Her friend was having an afternoon gathering for a group of ladies (I had never met any of them) one of which was able to communicate with spirits and do what she called a reading. When it was my turn to have a "reading", this lady met with me in a private setting. She started by saying a prayer and asking God to guide her. Then, the first thing she asked me was if I had just lit a candle for someone's health. I was blown away by her question and here is why. Three or four days prior, I had stopped at the Catholic Church near me which is always opened during the day. I lid a candle. (something that I had rarely done in my life). and said my prayers, I was alone in the church at the time. I also did not share this visit with anyone. The reason for my church visit was my mother. She had battled breast cancer a few years back and had gone through the treatments and suffering that comes with cancer. She had now, a few years later, again been told that a new tumor was found and that further test were scheduled for the following week. My mother was devastated, crying and scared telling me that she could not face cancer again. I felt her pain and decided to reach out to God with prayer and decide to light a candle, without saying a word to anyone not even my mother.

Going back to this lady's statement, I told her that I did light the candle. Her next statement was, "your prayers have been answered". She than went into other details which turned out to be correct, but what stood in my mind was the candle and my mother. How could she possibly know such detail, and the first statement of her reading to me.
The following week my mother went in to the doctor's for the test that she was dreading. They found nothing. The doctor said that the they could not find a tumor at all.
I still think about that experience, it left me wondering, and trying to figure out how to make sense of it all.
Hi, Natalie. Thanks for your interest.

I am splitting this reply into a few posts, if you don’t mind, so that they do not get difficult to read.

Natalie wrote: The subject of mediumship is intriguing and fascinating. The idea of being able to communicate with the loved ones on the other side sounds very comforting. I wonder how detailed are these "conversations". What factors would make it easier for a loved one to come through and not so well for another.

This is a complex matter and, as I explained, I can only provide my personal opinion based on personal experience, which would be poorer in a country where the topic is taboo, as the place where I live, but not so in a country where mediumship has been taken seriously for centuries (as the place where I was working).

Based on the sittings I have witnessed, communication takes the form of a conversation among three people, as the medium interprets the impressions he/she is receiving from the spirit communicator, conveys them to the sitter and, based on a “yes”/”no” or “I don’t know” feedback, allows the conversation to continue flowing.

If you have a look at the literature about light-trance subjective mediumship, you will find that it is often said that these sensations can come through “seeing” pictures with the medium’s mind’s eye, hearing words/names in the head, sensing feelings in the body, which often relate to how the communicator passed, and getting sudden “knowings” about things to say. Sometimes, as I said, these pieces of information are symbolic, as the medium will have developed their own personal code to interpret them. These conversations are a bit like putting a puzzle together, at least as far as I know, as I have seen no such thing as a regular conversation taking place, at least in a light trance or relaxed state of mind.

Regarding the factors that would make it easier for a loved one to come through, I have noticed having an open mind, not providing information about anything (as it would confuse the medium), taking whatever happens with a grain of salt and possibly not expecting everything to make sense instantly (which is why I suggested taking notes or recording). In the Spiritualist setting I worked, mediums also maintained that, if during their physical life spirit communicators had been withdrawn or concise or unemotional, this would affect their availability to come through. However, the conclusion I have reached is that, if a mediums is skilled, trained and in good health, it may rather be a matter of being or not being someone in “sympathy” with the spirit communicator, as per Pellew’s quote (http://nderf.me/topic1450.html#p6629), which is why it makes sense to me that, if a session does not work for this reason, any fee the sitter has paid is returned.
Thank you Giulia for your responses. : )
It is fascinating to me to hear of other people's accounts with disincarnate entities, whether it be a deceased loved one, a guide, or... etc. Even if it's not in direct communication, such as through mediumship, but instead through a spontaneous contact or gut-feeling that someone is there, watching over us or the like.

And that is an amazing story Natalie! Just the specific detail that the medium presented to you right off the bat is incredible! It gave me goosebumps reading it. It wasn't anything generic like, "Oh yes, I see a deceased love one here and he/she wants me to tell you they love you."
Plus the fact that the medium said, "Your prayers have been answered." and then to find out your mother had no signs of tumors at all.
I do believe in miracles and the power of prayer, but I also believe that some prayers are answered, but not in the way we were hoping for. We may not understand the "why", but perhaps in the grand purpose of things, it ultimately makes sense. But I am very glad that your mother is okay. : )
Natalie wrote: You mentioned that foretelling the future is strictly forbidden, why do think this is?

Hi, Natalie. There are two main reasons I have understood about this.

One is that we have free will, and, since there is always a chance that the medium may be seeing a potential future through his/her psychic faculties (in the environment I worked, mediumship is clearly described as an experiment that may eventually fail), free will is not to be taken away from the sitter through undue influence. Even when a prediction is understood to be clearly coming from a spirit communicator, one needs to keep in mind that it is coming from out of time, and it takes a lot of training and practice on the medium’s side to tell whether anything that appears to happen very soon will actually happen soon or at all. For instance, if the medium has an impression about a possible future event and this involves something that could be positively influenced by making a decision of some kind, the medium may gently try and convey the feelings of empowerment and encouragement required to reach a certain outcome, without saying anything that may unduly influence the sitter’s expectation. And this is the second reason I was coming to: once you have been given unquestionable evidence that a medium is in touch with a loved one, the influence the medium has on the sitter can increase tremendously; so it becomes the medium’s responsibility to gently use this authority to convey all the empowering, energising, encouraging, spiritually uplifting impressions that are coming through without setting boundaries as to what the future may be, as that would limit the sitter’s opportunities.

Irrespective of all this, as I mentioned earlier, I have been personally given readings at times in which I desperately needed help, and in two cases I was given a clear and accurate prediction, one which was to take place in two years’ time, and one that was to take place in six months’ time. However, these were coming from two very experienced mediums, who knew I would not be allowing these statements to influence me, and in any case I only found out they were accurate when the predictions materialised. The explanation I was given is that, when something is already in the works, our loved ones in spirit put a stronger emphasis on the information, especially if a person is need of extra-hope, as in my case. In case you wonder, one of these mediums has now retired, and the other one suffered from a very severe burnout syndrome only one year later.

About the risks involved in predicting the future, I have a personal story to share, but will leave that for a separate thread.

I wonder what happens in other environments about fortune-telling.
Natalie wrote: I had an experience many years ago, although I don't think this falls under mediumship It was still fascinating to me.

What a fascinating experience, Natalie. Without knowing this lady’s background, all I can add is that, during my work as a translator I found that mediumistic communication went hand in hand with what was called spiritual healing, and in fact, Harry Edwards, the author I referred to in the opening post, is best known as a spiritual healing medium.

However, why rule out the fact that it was your prayers that were listened to and that the lady simply saw this happening and told you?

Mediumship, spirit communication, spiritual healing... I realise these are just words which may refer to a much more complex (or simple?) reality. For instance, it is my understanding that what Christians call the Holy Spirit is within all of us and is part of all of us. That’s why, as a translator who is getting bored with translation, what really grasps my attention is not the act of trying to convey somebody else’s message (as an intermediary does), but focussing on each and every individual being able to do it him/herself, provided they have the encouragement, positive expectation, passion, motivation and perseverance.

If spirit communicators suggest they find it easier to communicate with their loved ones directly, rather than through a medium, then why shouldn’t prayer and healing work the same way?

prismreverie wrote: It is fascinating to me to hear of other people's accounts with disincarnate entities, whether it be a deceased loved one, a guide, or... etc. Even if it's not in direct communication, such as through mediumship, but instead through a spontaneous contact or gut-feeling that someone is there, watching over us or the like.

Exactly!
Prismreverie, this experience happened many years ago, I was so impressed and confused at the same time.
This lady was very specific and direct, there were no other questions or hints or way for her to know anything about me.
I wrote it down I detail at the time because it was such a strange experience and I didn't want to question my memory of it later. Every now and then I think about it and wonder how this type of things are possible. Maybe we are still so backward in understanding the spirit world, just like the cave man would have been in disbelief to see any of our technology that we now take for granted. Perhaps some day we will have a good understanding of how all this works and it won't seem like a big deal then.
Giulia
Again, I enjoyed reading about your views and experiences related to this subject. You seem to speak from a place of wisdom with so much clarity kindness and knowledge. your explanation regarding mediums being forbidden from telling the future makes sense. Knowing the future as we go through this human life experience would perhaps deny us of the lessons that we are here to learn, the purpose of this life would then be in question.

Regarding my experience, I don't remember thinking of it as a miracle or feeling like my prayers were the only reason for my mom' healing. Maybe my mom's healing was already in the works and this is just how this lady chose to communicate the message. What really blew me away was how she was able to know such detail with so much accuracy and without a doubt, assure me that my mom was healed.
I was just happy that my mom was fine, but the experience did leave me with much curiosity and wonder about what is beyond us and this physical reality. I do have to say that it did strengthen my faith.

By the way I would very much like to read about your personal story relating to the risk involved with telling the future.
Natalie wrote: Regarding my experience, I don't remember thinking of it as a miracle or feeling like my prayers were the only reason for my mom' healing. Maybe my mom's healing was already in the works and this is just how this lady chose to communicate the message. What really blew me away was how she was able to know such detail with so much accuracy and without a doubt, assure me that my mom was healed.

Intriguing, isn't it? If this were a book involving life, love, family, disease, healing, prayer, clairvoyance .... I would instinctively choose the image of you lighting a candle for the cover. As you said, we know so little about the bigger picture. It is my hope that as we put the pieces of the jigsaw puzzle together we one day find out it was all worth going through.

Natalie wrote: By the way I would very much like to read about your personal story relating to the risk involved with telling the future.

Thanks for your kind words and thought-provoking ideas, Natalie. I will try and post that experience as a separate topic as soon as I get the oppotunity.
Natalie wrote: Prismreverie, this experience happened many years ago, I was so impressed and confused at the same time.
This lady was very specific and direct, there were no other questions or hints or way for her to know anything about me.
I wrote it down I detail at the time because it was such a strange experience and I didn't want to question my memory of it later. Every now and then I think about it and wonder how this type of things are possible. Maybe we are still so backward in understanding the spirit world, just like the cave man would have been in disbelief to see any of our technology that we now take for granted. Perhaps some day we will have a good understanding of how all this works and it won't seem like a big deal then.

I agree. I think it's amazing what you and a lot of others have experienced. Just the thought that someone can tap into these different lines of communication or knowledge, is amazing, and I do think that someday it will be an ability we all can have - a form of telepathy or means of accessing the universal knowledge or what have you. ;)

This was a different event, but for the life of me I have no idea where this voice came from (it certainly wasn't from me).
I was in my early twenties and had a customer with me. She wasn't understanding what I was telling her, or she would just ask me the same questions over and over and over and over. :shock: I was getting frustrated and annoyed, had to repeat myself at least 6-7 times, and I was getting extremely rude and cold towards her. Then, all of a sudden, this voice spoke in my head (not my own inner dialogue, mind you), "She has early Alzheimer's."
That was it. There was no hostility in this voice, no frustration, no judgment. Just a matter of fact statement. :| And it immediately made me clean up my act and treat her with more kindness and hospitality. After we got everything settled she thanked me for being so nice (even though I was SO rude to her earlier) and left. After that, I went into the backroom and cried for 15 minutes straight. I have no idea where that voice came from, and it was one of the first events that made me realize that this world is not all we made it out to be.
Prismreverie,

I am sorry for the late reply. I have not had a chance to sit down and write until now.

The mysterious voice that opened your heart, and your immediate reaction of kindness toward the lady does reinforce the idea that there is so much more in this world, maybe we just don't have the extra 6th or 7th sense that we need to be able to detect this messages with more frequency. Your story is particularly touching for me at this time. I recently posted on the dementia topic regarding my mom. She recently was diagnosed with vascular dementia. Although it is difficult to face having someone you love struggle with this cruel illness, this situation has opened my eyes and changed my focus on what is really important in life.
I go visit her 4 to 5 times a week and this has given me an opportunity to get to know some of the other residents in the "memory care section" and I have to say that it has given me a glimpse into their world that I would never have imagined. These people are the sweetest, innocent most precious human beings. They all have their different issues and personalities and yet it is so easy to fall in love with their gentle, innocent, vulnerable essence that remains after their memories are purged leaving them only with what they came into this world.
You must feel good to have been made aware of this lady's situation while you could still have the opportunity to offer her kindness and patience so that she could walk away feeling good also.
Hi Natalie,

Sorry to jump into mid conversation like this. When you speak of what you are currently going through with your mother it reminds me of a very inspiring book I read recently. I gave this to a dear friend who is going through a similar moment as yours with your mum. It was very inspiring and moving for her and helped her in many ways, understand the pain she is feeling. Its called "The Gift of Alzheimer's" by Maggie La Tourelle.
mx
Mbee,
Thank you so much for jumping into this conversation, all are welcome.
I really appreciate your kind words, its always uplifting to hear, it warms my heart and fills it with gratitude.
I am going to purchase "The Gift of Alzheimer's" that you recommend. I am looking forward to reading it.
Thank you again!
Hi Natalie : )

I am very sorry your Mother is going through this difficult time, and I'm sorry that you are as well. : ( It is a troubling event to go through for all involved, and still, how amazing is it that you're able to find the light and love even during a time of sadness? It is incredible that people can be so strong to see how others are going through tough transitions in their life, even while experiencing them as well, and learning kindness and understanding from it.
Thank you so much Natalie for sharing that with us. : )

Natalie wrote: You must feel good to have been made aware of this lady's situation while you could still have the opportunity to offer her kindness and patience so that she could walk away feeling good also.

Actually, at the time, quite the contrary. XP I was actually devastated at myself that I acted that way, and I was ashamed of myself, and sad that it had to take this disembodied voice to help me see the light. Why could I not get that on my own? :| It made me so sad to realize how I treated that lady, and I am thankful for that voice for helping me understand the situation and giving me insight. But what haunts me is, what if I never heard that voice? How would I have acted towards this lady at the end? Would I have continued being rude and inconsiderate and bitter? Where would I be today? Would I have continued down that path and remained frustrated and irritated at the world? What would become of that lady? Would she even remember our encounter? And if so, would that negativity remain with her also and affect those around her in the same manner?
I am extremely grateful for that voice. It has helped me gain patience and compassion, and I'm glad it helped me to treat this lady the way she deserves to be treated.
mbee wrote: Its called "The Gift of Alzheimer's" by Maggie La Tourelle.

Hi, mbee. I've also been wanting to thank you for bringing up this title. I have read some of the reviews and it truly sounds an interesting read irrespective of whether you are dealing with Alzheimer's. You or Natalie (when she has read it) might want to post about it in the End of Life, Bereavement, Hospice section. Thanks.
I have posted an article about the book by Maggie La Tourelle in the Bereavement section as you suggested Giulia. I find the idea of so many elderly going through such loneliness at the end of their lives so painful. Your mother is very lucky to have you Natalie!!! I wish you all the best in your journey together at this special yet difficult time of life!!! bless you mxxxx
Giulia, in your knowledge and or experience with mediumistic communication have you witnessed or heard of electrical devises as a way for those on the other side to communicate with us by sending us signs through blinking lights or telephone rings etc.?
mbee wrote: I have posted an article about the book by Maggie La Tourelle in the Bereavement section as you suggested Giulia.

Thank you, mbee! I am actually reading it too :)

Natalie wrote: Giulia, in your knowledge and or experience with mediumistic communication have you witnessed or heard of electrical devises as a way for those on the other side to communicate with us by sending us signs through blinking lights or telephone rings etc.?

Hi, Natalie. My understanding of physical mediumship and also of objective mediumship (that is when mediums perceive things as if they were actually happening in the physical world and not in their minds) does not amount to much, unfortunately. The mediums I have worked with over the years have given us demonstrations of what psychic skills alone are able to accomplish: for instance they once had 6 mediums on the stage just lightly resting a finger on a coffee-size table, and they had the audience sing a rhythmic song while clapping our hands to demonstrate how this alone could make it possible for the table to start dancing, and then unexpectedly run down the stage stairs, run across the audience, with the mediums running along (we had to quickly move in order to allow the table to move forward), run across a long corridor, go down the stairs to the séance room and push one of the mediumship students into the deep-trance cabin. In that case they explained the whole thing had more to do with psychic power than with mediumship, thought they did suggest that the fact that a student had been literally pushed into the deep-trance cabin by the table may be carrying a message for him. Had I not witnessed it myself, I would not believe it.

Regarding your question, though, I understand that electricity and other subtle fields are the easiest for spirits to manipulate, though teenagers going through a poltergeist stage can also unconsciously do that. Regarding telephones and interphones ringing, it has personally happened to me too, but only while waking up or falling asleep or while performing routine work which could cause me to be in an altered state of consciousness, similar to the one you can be in during meditation or in the twilight states I mentioned above. May I ask if any of such things have happened to you?

I would also like to take this opportunity to mention that I eventually posted the experience concerning fortune telling. You can find it here: OBE - A Visit from the future.
Hello Giulia,

Thank you so much for your fascinating reply and sorry for my delay in responding. No matter how much I hurry to keep up with my duties it seems I'm always running, never getting too far and always trying to catch up.

Anyway, I am fascinated by your coffee table story. What was the reaction of the audience, I wonder how I would process an experience like that. It makes me wonder how this could be possible. There is just so much that we as a human race don't understand. Perhaps these mysteries are not meant for us to understand in this world.

Regarding your question, I have had a number of unusual experiences all around the time of death of family members, lights flickering in very unusual ways. It happened when my grandmother passes away about 18 years ago. Several of my kitchen can lights began to flicker, my television turned on for a brief moment. I didn't think much of it at the time, my husband thought that the light bulbs needed to be changed. This had never happened before and it hasn't happened since in the kitchen. I also remember my mother in her own home being scared around the time of my grandmother' death because her light was turning on at night for three consecutive nights around the same time while in bed. My mom had no interest or curiosity about the after life and did not welcome this experience.

Some time ago, I posted an experience that I had about my father after he passed, and another on with my mother in law. I have copied and pasted my post below regarding the lights.

MY FATHER-- passed away five years ago. My sisters and I were all very close to him, he was among the greatest of fathers. He knew that of his daughters I was the only one who had a strong interest in the after life, we had many conversations on this subject. Within days of his passing, one of the two ceiling light of my walk-in closet started flickering , I don't share that closet with anyone, and I have lived here for over 25 years, this had never happened before. My husband who is more of a scientist , not spiritual at all, tried to tighten the light bulb. He found nothing wrong with it. This flickering continued and the pattern was very unusual. It turned off at times and turn on at odd times. I was not able to control it with the light switch. The light would go off for days, making me think it had burned out.
For example, two weeks after my dad's passing, I was standing by the door of my closet talking to my daughter was facing my closet and the ceiling light, I was asking her to go with me to visit her grandmother who was very lonely sad about my dad's passing. My daughter didn't want to go, the light had been off for several days, I thought the light bulb had burned out, at that moment of our conversation the light flickered intensively, for about 20 seconds. We were both surprised and amazed at the timing.
This flickering of the light went on for a year, the light bulb was just a regular incandescent light bulb. A year after his passing, my daughter and I went to help my mother organize my dad's office and clean out some things. We found a thick stash of $100.00 dollar bills, that I suspect my dad had kept for an emergency, we gave it to my mother. That exact same night the light bulb in my closet burned out.

One more thing I will share During the time of this light flickering, I was terribly sad about my father leaving, I went to the church and prayed. I asked to please let me know if that flickering light had anything to do with my dad. That exact same night I had a wonderful dream about my dad, that he called me on the phone, I heard his voice as clear as anything. I felt incredible happiness when I heard his voice, I asked him 3 questions.
1, "is that you communicating with me with the light?" He said yes.
2. " is there a heaven?" He said yes.
3, " am I going to heaven?" With this last question he sounded annoyed as he often was when we asked silly questions, he didn't answer the last question and then asked me to pass the phone to my mom.

I placed a new light bulb on my closet ceiling light fixture, the light has never flickered again for the next 2-1/2 years until...
MY MOTHER IN LAW-- had been very ill for the last year. I spoke with her regularly and had also mentioned to her my experience with my father and the light 3-1/2 years prior (mentioned above). She seemed very indifferent about the idea of God and the after life.
She passed almost two years ago, on a Friday, the day after Thanksgiving. Two days later, on Sunday the same light that flickered after my dad passed. started flickering again, it has turned on and off for a few seconds and then back again. That continued for a few weeks. The lights have not flickered since.

So Giulia, this is why I wonder if that could have been my family trying to communicate with me, or could it be just a coincidence combined with my wishful thinking.
Natalie wrote: Thank you so much for your fascinating reply and sorry for my delay in responding. No matter how much I hurry to keep up with my duties it seems I'm always running, never getting too far and always trying to catch up.

Thank you, Natalie. I'm afraid I know the feeling. Please don't worry about it at all :D

Thank you for sharing these experiences again. I can only give you my personal opinion about them, of course, and that is that the most intimate and wonderful dream visitations I have personally had from so-called “deceased” relatives and friends include those coming through a phone call, which are occasionally disturbed by crackling noises, and the conversation with your Dad on the phone sounds an absolutely genuine dream visitation by him, in which case, once again in my opinion, you already have the answer about the lights flickering, burning out and turning on again. By the way, I find it so amusing, AND reassuring, when they find our questions silly...

I forgot to tell you yesterday that one of the times when I hear the phone ringing (and it isn’t physically ringing) is while driving, which is one of those routine activities I do automatically. The phone ringing is something that happens not only in connection with the so-called “dead”, but also in connection with the so-called living (if there is somebody I am thinking of intensely or vice versa). And this reminds me of your question about the coffee-table performance: if the psychic power of a "living" can do all that, then why should the psychic power of a disincarnate being not (in terms of flickering lights and phones ringing, I mean)? I know of scientific studies designed to determine the weight of the soul, that part that leaves our bodies when we die. Why should that not be able to interact with our houshold appliances?

A key fact you reminded me of - AND I THANK YOU FOR THIS - is that it is important to ask confirmation, when you have doubts about the nature of an unusual phenomenon, and it is important to ask, whatever your need is.

When I am about to fall asleep, and I am not too exhausted and remember ask my Dad to please come to me in a dream, I often happen to hear the interphone ringing, as if there were somebody at the main entrance of our block of flats visiting. When I was visiting my parents’ home last Easter, I had a very vivid dream of my Dad being at the entrance of that block of flats and ringing the interphone bell. In my dream I tried to let him in by pushing my parents’ home interphone button that opens the main entrance door, but there was some sort of cellophane between my hands and the interphone button so that I could not touch it. According to my sister, this was meant to show how one feels when disincarnate: able to make the bell ring but unable to physically touch things.

But the most amazing dream was the one I had this morning before reading your post. I was in a place where my Dad was absolutely alive, though everyone kept crying because he had just been pronounced dead. I will skip all the irrelevant parts and come to the synchronicity. My Dad used to write at the computer a lot, just like me, and in my dream I was made aware of the fact that, in addition to my own computer room and my Dad’s former computer room, there was this absolutely beautiful bucolic landscape with a desk, a chair and a computer, but the Internet connection was faulty there, and only worked occasionally. I desperately tried to take a picture of bucolic landscape and computer for others to see, but the Internet connection was not working. I had a look at the cables, which were placed under some sort of drain cover, and found that the place was a mess, clogged with waste: it looked like my kitchen sink sometime does when I am not careful while doing the washing up and remains of food end up there.

This reminded me that I have always been advised to have a light dinner before sleep, to enhance these visitations, along with drinking lots of water, especially first thing in the morning, before my last dream.

Sorry for getting carried away. This thread is about professional mediumship: however, in my opinion, it is generally easier for disincarnates to contact their own loved ones directly rather than coming through an intermediary.

I found your experiences absolutely fascinating to read, Natalie. Thank you!
22 posts Page 1 of 1