Mission Statment

click me to Open or Close
"This is a non-profit, non-denominational and apolitical online discussion site, designed to support research and study of consciousness experiences, such as near death experiences and other spiritually transformative experiences, support experiencers and spread the message of love, unity and peace around the world. We do not allow proselytizing or bullying (please refer to our Joining Rules). We welcome and encourage people of all backgrounds, nationalities, countries and/or religions to bring up any topic they feel fit for this place and to read and participate in the conversations held here, in a relaxed and friendly atmosphere."
Flight / Vived Imagery / Warmth
Life Review / Unbounded Love
Timelessness / Unusual Knowledge
13 posts Page 1 of 1
Hi guys,
When after death does the soul merge back with the Higher Self?
Also, why does this not happen in NDEs?
Well, there seems to be at least one individual that claimed that in their NDE they merged with or became their "higher self." But typically, the words used to describe the experience are "glimpsed", "connected to", or "became aware of" is what they termed or was interpreted regarding their higher self.

There appears to be many variations regarding testimonies dealing with encountering the (or a) higher self. In some cases, the individual is not sure if what they encountered is their higher self or another being such as a soul mate.

In all likelihood, this is an area that is confounded by individuals having undergone different levels of the NDE experience, personal imagery interpretations, language inadequacies, etc.

There used to be a serious participant on these forums who had reported to have undergone at least two separate NDEes. Their discussion and insights about the experiences were quite interesting as with one of the NDEes they claimed (as I recall) to have crossed what typically is called "point of no return." They claimed (something like) that this life is not who you really are. In their NDE it was something like a higher self being aware of all the different personalities (people or roles) that they had played in past existences. It was described as seeing or being aware of all the different individual personalities or roles they have ever played/occupied, each as being in their own separate room of the same hotel.

Seems to me that this a good area for continued research for those interested.

==============================================================================
"I BECAME WHAT I CAN SAY WAS MY 'HIGHER SELF' WHO UNDERSTANDS ALL." - Leeta's NDE.
What a fascinating topic! And I do agree witgh you, Rey, about the variety of intepretations given to the experience.

Rey wrote: Their discussion and insights about the experiences were quite interesting as with one of the NDEes they claimed (as I recall) to have crossed what typically is called "point of no return."

I realise this question might have already been asked, but how would one describe a "point of no return" if one has actually returned?

Ever since I started researching the subject, I have found that NDE accounts and Afterlife accounts coming through mediumistic communication have a number of aspects in common (such as OBE, surpirse about physically alive people not being able to see you, life review, meeting with deceased relatives or friends, meeting/blending with a light/source of unconditional love, etc.), whereas other aspects are unique to NDErs or, on the other hand, to those who have not returned.

One of the most profound NDE accounts I have read on the topic is Mellen Thomas Benedict's NDE , who by the end of his experience was ready to reincarnate into whoever else and then found himself back in his own body, completely healed from terminal brain cancer. Here is a quote from his experience with the Light which he also refers to as a form of Higher Self:

As I rode the stream on and on, I could eventually see a huge light coming. I knew it was the first light; the Higher Self light matrix of our solar system. Then the entire solar system appeared in the light, accompanied by one of those velvet booms.

I saw that the solar system we live in is our larger, local body. This is our local body and we are much bigger than we imagine. I saw that the solar system is our body. I am a part of this, and the Earth is this great created being that we are, and we are the part of it that knows that it is. But we are only that part of it. We are not everything, but we are that part of it that knows that it is.

I could see all the energy that this solar system generates, and it is an incredible light show! I could hear the Music of the Spheres. Our solar system, as do all celestial bodies, generates a unique matrix of light, sound and vibratory energies. Advanced civilizations from other star systems can spot life as we know it in the universe by the vibratory or energy matrix imprint. It is child's play. The Earth's wonder child (human beings) make an abundance of sound right now, like children playing in the backyard of the universe.

I rode the stream directly into the center of the light. I felt embraced by the light as it took me in with its breath again, followed by another soft sonic boom.

I was in this great light of love with the stream of life flowing through me. I have to say again, it is the most loving, non-judgmental light. It is the ideal parent for this wonder child.

"What now?" I wondered.

The light explained to me that there is no death; we are immortal beings. We have already been alive forever! I realized that we are part of a natural living system that recycles itself endlessly. I was never told that I had to come back. I just knew that I would. It was only natural, from what I had seen.

I don't know how long I was with the light, in human time. But there came a moment when I realized that all my questions had been answered and my return was near. When I say that all my questions were answered on the other side, I mean to say just that. All my questions have been answered. Every human has a different life and set of questions to explore. Some of our questions are universal, but each of us is exploring this thing we call life in our own unique way. So is every other form of life, from mountains to every leaf on every tree.

And that is very important to the rest of us in this universe. Because it all contributes to the Big Picture, the fullness of life. We are literally God exploring God's Self in an infinite Dance of Life. Your uniqueness enhances all of life.

Once again, I guess the notion of Higher Self will change depending on the experiencer, yet I still wonder how experts/researchers in the field of NDEs define a "point of no return", in which experiencers always return.

Could you kindly provide a link to Leeta's NDE?
Hello from Italy - How I found out about NDERF - A Strange Experience
Leeta's NDE

"Did you come to a border or point of no return?" is one of the line item questions of the NDERF NDE questionnaire.

Oh ya, point of no return was at one time a major discussion item.
The person maintained that they sensed having crossed such boundary, the boundary typically sensed or described often in the NDE reports as "point of no return."

There are a few spectacular NDEes not unlike Mellen -Thomas Benedict's that I recall having read here on NDERF (dont know the specifics now as it was some years back). Most, of course, are not that spectacular, but if you search then you'll find a few cases of individuals report having flown away seemingly to the end of the universe and maybe even beyond.
Thanks for the link, Rey. That was a very interesting account indeed.

Now that you mention it, I do remember the question about whether the experiencer felt they had reached a border. In Leeta's account it is worded as "boundary or limiting physical structure".

I do agree with you that this topic is a good area for continued research for those interested.
Yes, Leeta's NDE is intended to address the idea about merging with higher self.

"Did you come to a border or point of no return?" is a question that has been modified from "boundary or limiting structure" in the NDE questionnaire seemingly at least since 2014 (ie, based on looking at some of my old files). For example : http://www.nderf.org/NDERF/NDE_Experien ... _c_nde.htm

One can get a a bit of a feel or insight about "point of no return" through doing a search in the NDERF database using those key words and looking to see what NDEers have reported. One could end up surprised.
Hello - I feel a bit out of my league contributing to your thread. You are all a better read thank Amon this subject. I haven't done any research or reading. I just wanted to say from my own experience. I wonder now if the light saw and felt and the feeling of peace that came with it was in fact my inner or higher self. I had a NDE at that age of 13 and then a lot later in my 30's had an experience like a lucid dream, where a lot of things made sense to me. Maybe it could be considered an awakening. The light I saw in my NDE and the feeling, was the same light and feeling I had when I had the dream. In my dream I was given the knowledge that we are all one and we are from the light. We are the light. All of us.
Hi Hoke,

Welcome to the forums.

Sounds like you believe that you had a full NDE (at age 13) and from the description of your subsequent experience it is not clear if it was a dream or instead what is termed an STE (or Spiritually Transformative Experience).

What you describe is actually quite typical for NDE and STE phenomena as you will see from reading the related reports in the NDERF database.

It is understood if you are guarded concerning free discussion of your experience(s). That is quite common with those who have undergone one or more of such experiences. Typically it takes time to integrate one's feelings, and then even when one tries to discuss their experience with others, it is difficult as the average person most often cannot relate. It is all complicated by other factors such as that such experiences are ineffable (ie, indescribable or beyond what mere words can describe or convey).

Rest assured though, you have arrived at a good place to try to begin once you are ready. There is no rush and a recommendation is to try to browse the experience reports (NDE & STE for sure). Doing so will help to support that you certainly are not alone and it should result in at least some partial answers regarding your experiences and maybe even provide some of the needed words/language.

And as you are aware, there are others here who are experiencers with whom you should be able to exchange with to a high degree on a common basis of understanding.

Regards,

Rey
Just a little background on the question of a border or boundary.

Its part of the "Greyson scale", named after the researcher and it is often used as a sort of watershed test for what can be scientifically referred to as an NDE. It is based on an analysis of cases by Greyson and Moody etc and the many common elements which NDEs often have. Using it as a score helps classification because not every NDE has every element or in any particular order.
Note that as such the Greyson Scale is most suitable as a statistical analysis tool and should not be used as a value judgment to discriminate between peoples experiences (IMO).

http://iands.org/research/nde-research/ ... scale.html
Yup, I remember that (seems long ago).

The NDERF Study Methodology: A Closer Look - Jeffrey Long, M.D.
http://www.nderf.org/NDERF/EvidenceAfterlife/evidence/NDERF_Study_Methods.htm

Also, I made an inaccurate statement in my recent previous post (on this thread). I said that the question related to "border or boundary" was modified.

No.

Instead, the NDE questionnaire was modified to include an additional question related to asking about "point of no return " (ie, the question as it was stated in the subject post).
Hoke74 wrote: Hello - I feel a bit out of my league contributing to your thread. You are all a better read thank Amon this subject. I haven't done any research or reading. I just wanted to say from my own experience. I wonder now if the light saw and felt and the feeling of peace that came with it was in fact my inner or higher self. I had a NDE at that age of 13 and then a lot later in my 30's had an experience like a lucid dream, where a lot of things made sense to me. Maybe it could be considered an awakening.

Hi, Hoke.

I agree about the notion others have shared that language is inadequate to express events that are not part of everyday life. My personal feeling is that during our sleep, we process everyday life experiences, including the most exceptional ones, and we also become more open to unearthly knowings, as our brain's reduction valve does not need to filter every thought or event as strictly as it does when we are awake and in need to be focused and concentrated on physical matter and events. How could we possibly drive a car or cook a meal or use the computer keyboard if we were aware of other people's thoughts, see the energy field many report surrounding everything, be aware of deceased loved ones speaking to us, etc. On a regular basis? That's why I feel sleep helps us integrate the non-physical aspects of our life into our everyday life, and why dreams and lucid dreams in particular can become an opportunity to re-experience something as extraordinary as NDE, in the light of the experience one might have possibly acquired in the meantime.

As to what the Higher Self is, there are various opinions, words, descriptions... all equally precious (in my opinion) if they can help us feel at ease with ourselves and who we feel we really are.

Hoke74 wrote: The light I saw in my NDE and the feeling, was the same light and feeling I had when I had the dream. In my dream I was given the knowledge that we are all one and we are from the light. We are the light. All of us.

This is very comforting and sounds absolutely in line with the message most NDErs come back with!
Judging from what i have experienced from the death of close relative....and here it has left me with more question than answers.... it takes a few months.

Domt assume we only have one single life. Not so. It depends on the ability of the light being how many concurrents it can cope with or wants.
13 posts Page 1 of 1