Mission Statment

click me to Open or Close
"This is a non-profit, non-denominational and apolitical online discussion site, designed to support research and study of consciousness experiences, such as near death experiences and other spiritually transformative experiences, support experiencers and spread the message of love, unity and peace around the world. We do not allow proselytizing or bullying (please refer to our Joining Rules). We welcome and encourage people of all backgrounds, nationalities, countries and/or religions to bring up any topic they feel fit for this place and to read and participate in the conversations held here, in a relaxed and friendly atmosphere."
7 posts Page 1 of 1
Tonight on C2C is an interesting topic that I wasnt aware existed as an issue that could merit as a research project.

C2C Interview - (Tuesday) 28 March 2017

Second Half: Linguist, educator, and poet, Lisa Smartt, founded the Final Words Project, an ongoing study devoted to collecting and interpreting the mysterious language at the end of lives. A person’s end-of-life words often take on an eerie significance, giving tantalizing clues about the ultimate fate of the human soul. She will discuss how the language of the dying can point the way to a transcendent world beyond our own.

What LAST words reveal about life, death, and consciousness.
http://www.finalwordsproject.org/

Book:
Words at the Threshold: What We Say as We're Nearing Death
https://www.amazon.com/Words-Threshold- ... 84601/ctoc
Thank you, Rey. This is an extremely interesting topic. I look forward to learning more about it.
Hello from Italy - How I found out about NDERF - A Strange Experience
The Lisa Smartt interview was excellent and very important for those involved with care of those in the process of dying. IC nurses, doctors, hospice aids as well as friends and relatives who attend or expect to be involved with an individual who will "pass on" shortly will benefit from listening to last night's "Final Words" interview and thus it is highly recommended.

The first hour consists of the basic interview with Lisa while the second final hour involves call-in testimonies.

Some of the interesting points gleamed from the interview are:

- Children (particularly ages 2 to 3) seem to be able more so to be connected with the dying in terms of perception. These children seem to have a better ability to perceive apparitions and other phenomena that the dying seem to be perceiving or sensing. Further, such ability seems to diminish as children age.

- Quite often, dying individuals seem to be able to have, so to speak, a foot in each world (ie, this side and the "other side"). Sometimes so that they are able to exchange messages or communication between worlds.

- As such, Lisa speculates from her linguistic analytic experience that the dying process seems to activate or stimulate a region of the brain responsible for mysticism (or one's mystic side or abilities).

- Probably most common is that the dying seem to see that they are being greeted, accompanied or helped by pre-deceased relatives; also angels. It is here that small children often seem to say that they see or perceive them too. (Lisa told how, at the time of death one child watching looked up above the dying individual and exclaimed "look mommy, see all the birds". Lisa believes these were angels.)

- Lisa has so far interviewed over 1000 people involving final word reports from dying individuals. Together with reports sent in, she has over 2000 reports with a significant number of them involving dying children.

- Lisa stated that the phenomenon of "passing on" is effectively never a bad experience. One of the most common expressions associated with leaving this world was observed to be an expression of "forgiveness".

- Two types of events that are commonly occurring, but are enigmas cited by Lisa are: (1) that at the very final moments a comatose patient will become totally lucid and conversant, and (2) that they are able, even when being in and out of consciousness over many days, to develop a narrated story that is completed at the time of death. In the latter case, the story effectively is one of preparing for a journey (such as waiting for a bus or train to arrive on which they will finally board, then depart for/to the after life world).

Below is the link to the official YouTube C2C post of last night's interviews.
(Listening at least to the first hour of the Lisa Smartt interview is highly recommended.)

The Lisa Smartt "Final Words" portion beings at 1:16:00.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZNh-i4g6Nw

Below is the official program summary

Linguist, educator, and poet, Lisa Smartt, founded the Final Words Project in 2014, an ongoing study devoted to collecting and interpreting the mysterious language at the end of lives. In the latter half, she detailed how a person's end-of-life words often take on an eerie significance, giving tantalizing clues about the ultimate fate of the human soul, and pointing the way to a transcendent world beyond our own. Her interest in this area was sparked by her dying father, who was a skeptic, yet described seeing angels as he grew closer to death. She subsequently studied with Raymond Moody, who coined the term Near Death Experience, and has recently written about "shared death experiences."

One of the commonalities she found in dying people's vocalizations is that they seem to be having conversations with previously deceased relatives. There are also occasions of "terminal lucidity," she reported, when patients are completely unresponsive but then right before dying, they sit up and seem to be glowing, and share words of forgiveness. In one intriguing account, a 22-year old dying of cancer remarked "I know, I know. We agreed on twenty-two years this time." But when his minister asked "Agreed with whom?" the man had already slipped into unconsciousness. The dying may also use non-literal language, and more metaphoric or symbolic phrasing to describe their transitioning or other worldly experiences, she noted.

What LAST words reveal about life, death, and consciousness.
http://www.finalwordsproject.org/

Book:
Words at the Threshold: What We Say as We're Nearing Death
https://www.amazon.com/Words-Threshold-What-Nearing-Death/dp/1608684601/ctoc
Rey, Thanks for sharing.
I have always felt it a privilege to be with dying persons. While working in the medical field, I was there many times and have witnessed many memorable transitions.
I remember my father-in-law living... in two-worlds his last few days. He was taking to what seemed to be the corner of the room, I asked who he was talking with and he said, 'My mother, she's in the kitchen, waiting for me.' Over the next few days he told me about a brother and others 'over there, don't you see them?'. I have seen relatives poo-poo these things or be totally unaware...but, they are so precious when accepted.
My recent post in ADCRF, “My Mom’s Death and Connected ADCs” is a story that fits in with this subject. Please check it out :)

MysterySeeker
I believe I had posted briefly in another thread about what occurred as my Father`s time approached but am happy to share in greater detail. I agree that it is a great privilege and the ultimate gift, to be with a loved one while they are in both worlds at once and only wish I had my Father`s experience on film.... Around six weeks prior my Father was doing things such as throwing his hands up at the ceiling and asking his favorite brother-in-law (departed), to "help him up". One night things went a bit further and became quite intriguing when my Father suddenly looked to the left of his bedside and saw his dear brother who has been gone from this realm many years. The look in my Father`s eyes was priceless as he was absolutely elated to see his brother and to speak to him. Now please keep in mind that my Father was very lucid as this was all transpiring, talking to me and conversing with them at the same time, literally in two worlds at once. After seeing his brother my Father looked toward the back left corner of his hospital room and began talking to someone whose name I did not recognize. When I asked my Father whom he was talking to he replied "to the Ghost in back of you". My Father then looked to my right and began chatting with someone else, again someone I did not know. I asked whom he was speaking to then to which he replied "to the Ghost next to you". Good thing I do not scare easily :D Two of our Dogs were also present in Spirit that night and my Father saw them both very clearly. On a separate occasion, I actually saw one of our Dogs at my Father`s bedside. It was a very brief manifestation but quite evident to me how excited my Dog was in anticipation of my Father`s arrival.
What is a Shih Tzu? "A dash of Lion, several teaspoons of Rabbit, a couple ounces of old Chinese men, a bit of Beggar,
a tablespoon of Monkey, one part Baby Seal, and a dash of Teddy Bear."
~ James E. Mumford

I have not yet had the pleasure of listening to the Lisa Smartt interview however as per a post I believe I had made in another thread - I can confirm that Angels and Beings of Light are indeed all around the dying. I have had the honor and privilege of seeing them with my own eyes.
What is a Shih Tzu? "A dash of Lion, several teaspoons of Rabbit, a couple ounces of old Chinese men, a bit of Beggar,
a tablespoon of Monkey, one part Baby Seal, and a dash of Teddy Bear."
~ James E. Mumford

7 posts Page 1 of 1