Mission Statment

click me to Open or Close
"This is a non-profit, non-denominational and apolitical online discussion site, designed to support research and study of consciousness experiences, such as near death experiences and other spiritually transformative experiences, support experiencers and spread the message of love, unity and peace around the world. We do not allow proselytizing or bullying (please refer to our Joining Rules). We welcome and encourage people of all backgrounds, nationalities, countries and/or religions to bring up any topic they feel fit for this place and to read and participate in the conversations held here, in a relaxed and friendly atmosphere."
Post your introduction and Tell us a little something about yourself
5 posts Page 1 of 1
Hello out there NDERF.

A few years ago I had an experience with a religion that was more or less a cult, and when I finally left, it destroyed any and all faith in God. But, I don't want to just give up. The only tether I have is through experiences that I believe transcend religion.

I have 2 friends who had NDEs, and I don't think they are lying.

My name is Rob. I am seriously reaching out. What I want to know is if there is a forum chat where I can ask my skeptical questions and have discussion to try to work through my own obstacles.

I am NOT hostile to the whole idea of this site. In fact, I'm grateful I found it.

Can someone give me the beginning instructions and suggestions of where to follow my course?
Welcome Rob! Perhaps you might wish to try the "Catch All Forum". :)
What is a Shih Tzu? "A dash of Lion, several teaspoons of Rabbit, a couple ounces of old Chinese men, a bit of Beggar,
a tablespoon of Monkey, one part Baby Seal, and a dash of Teddy Bear."
~ James E. Mumford

Welcome, Rob! :F

I am glad you are not giving up despite the experiences you have had with the cults. All points of view are welcome here, so please do not worry about your need for objective evidence. I was the same when I started my own personal search for evidence.

I feel it is fine for you to post more questions as part of the topic started by DaniWhite: Nine questions that arise from NDEs, as you suggested. It is a great thread, offering great contributions. Have you read through it?
Hello from Italy - How I found out about NDERF - A Strange Experience
Rob stated: My name is Rob. I am seriously reaching out. What I want to know is if there is a forum chat where I can ask my skeptical questions and have discussion to try to work through my own obstacles.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
I have been on a number of boards with skeptics with 'skeptical' questions. The major problem I find is that the 'bottom line' is there is no 'scientific evidence' we can really use to validate many 'spiritual' claims to true 'skeptics'.

The only thing most of us can give you are 'experiences' in different areas and references to books/authors that have researched these things but I have never found 'true skeptics' accepting anything that hasn't been 'peer reviewed' by 'mainstream scientists'.

I 'believe' the things we talk about on this board are things that have never been 'widely accepted' by 'the mainstream scientist community'. That does not mean posting 'spiritual information' on skeptic boards is not worthwhile. In a number of instances 'skeptics' when advised of 'actual experiencers' and more of the available 'information' certainly can become more 'open and aware' if not 'believers'.

If anyone can show where 'mainstream science' accepts any of this 'spiritual information' please let me know as I know of skeptic boards that need to know it.
Dreamer wrote: Rob stated: My name is Rob. I am seriously reaching out. What I want to know is if there is a forum chat where I can ask my skeptical questions and have discussion to try to work through my own obstacles.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
I have been on a number of boards with skeptics with 'skeptical' questions. The major problem I find is that the 'bottom line' is there is no 'scientific evidence' we can really use to validate many 'spiritual' claims to true 'skeptics'.

The only thing most of us can give you are 'experiences' in different areas and references to books/authors that have researched these things but I have never found 'true skeptics' accepting anything that hasn't been 'peer reviewed' by 'mainstream scientists'.

I 'believe' the things we talk about on this board are things that have never been 'widely accepted' by 'the mainstream scientist community'. That does not mean posting 'spiritual information' on skeptic boards is not worthwhile. In a number of instances 'skeptics' when advised of 'actual experiencers' and more of the available 'information' certainly can become more 'open and aware' if not 'believers'.

If anyone can show where 'mainstream science' accepts any of this 'spiritual information' please let me know as I know of skeptic boards that need to know it.

Dreamer,...everything you say is fine and well received. I'm not "skeptical" in that I am purely logic driven. I have 2 personal friends who had NDEs...and I questioned both very carefully while looking right in their eyeballs. I don't think they were lying. I am also able and willing to entertain thoughts that I can't quantify or qualify at the moment, provided I think there is something there.

So,...I'm willing to explore...but my questions are real ones. Maybe there are answers and maybe not...but unless I ask, how will I know?
Rob4Hope--hoping for a faith that works!
5 posts Page 1 of 1