Mission Statment

click me to Open or Close
"This is a non-profit, non-denominational and apolitical online discussion site, designed to support research and study of consciousness experiences, such as near death experiences and other spiritually transformative experiences, support experiencers and spread the message of love, unity and peace around the world. We do not allow proselytizing or bullying (please refer to our Joining Rules). We welcome and encourage people of all backgrounds, nationalities, countries and/or religions to bring up any topic they feel fit for this place and to read and participate in the conversations held here, in a relaxed and friendly atmosphere."
Out-of-Body Experience
4 posts Page 1 of 1

Why Am I Here

One Look Dictionary
Not a candidate for the AWARE Study.

"This is the case of a person who claims to be able to leave her body at will, so researchers stuck her in an fMRI machine and looked at what happened to her brain when she was having this experience/hallucination.

The word 'hallucination' appears ten times in the case study yet zero times in the Popular Science article. Because of this, a naive person who reads the PopSci article but not the original paper may walk away with the belief that the brain scans show what happens when a person actually leaves their body, as opposed to showing what happens when a person feels as though they are leaving their body.
"

- http://www.popsci.com/blog-network/unpopular-science/woman-who-thinks-she-can-will-herself-out-her-body

PS: Classic Susan Blackmore
Perhaps the doctors were labelling it as a hallucination, but it was real. Doctors have their own bias too. Dr. Charles Tart was able to verify an OBE observation a few years back, but he had trouble recreating it with Robert Monroe. Labelling something as 'hallucination' or 'reality' is kind of beside the point anyway. Science ideally presents the data first, not the label first.
...Wish I knew how to do that...
4 posts Page 1 of 1