Forgotten NDEs with aftereffects anyway?

Unusual Experiences, Philosophy,Hinduism, Buddhism, Reincarnation
Mirenithil
test

Forgotten NDEs with aftereffects anyway?

Post by Mirenithil » Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:57 am

I have just read through Love is the Link by Kircher, and at the start of chapter 10 she touches a topic I have never seen mentioned on any NDE site before: people who have had NDEs, and then forgotten they have. She states that "In some ways, the recovery and adjustment process is more difficult for people who don't remember their NDEs. They find themselves with the same changes in their value systems as other people who have had NDEs, but they have no idea as to why they are so suddenly changed." (p. 92)

When I was a preschooler, I choked on a tough piece of meat. I don't remember it whatsoever; my dad mentioned it around the time I was thirty (eight years ago,) and he seemed quite surprised that I didn't remember it. It made perfect sense, though; my whole life, I had always held my breath while chewing, and never wanted to eat steak because it needed so long to chew to turn it soft enough that it was difficult to hold the breath long enough. I'd get the racing heart and the sweaty palms fear. I also loathed turtlenecks, something my grandma always made me wear and was always a bit irritated at me for disliking/being uncomfortable with; I really didn't like the tightness around my throat. To hear I'd choked was an 'ah hah' moment for both of these things. I still have absolutely no memory of the event, but it's evident my body didn't forget it.

But I didn't have an NDE, or at least, I don't remember one at all. Until I read this book, I thought that that was that. However, Kircher's line about the change in the value systems being the same as those with remembered NDEs hit home very hard, and now I can't help but wonder. Some of these NDE-like aftereffects in my life are:

1) an extreme discomfort with violence, to the point that I can't watch the news. I never have been able to, and I have never been able to fathom how my family could sit in front of such images of such violence for so long at a stretch, and to do it night after night. Also, I realize that I'm quite a bit older than the usual age range of video game players, but I still enjoy them, or try to - but I find the pool of games to choose from has been shrinking rapidly as the games industry devotes its energies to nothing but first-person shooters. It's an endless stream of simulated murder, completely unplayable for me. Most games are made to be multiplayer now, so the kicker is that even on games that aren't particularly violent, you still can't get away from having to listen to an unending stream of racism, sexism, and general hate spewing from the mouths of the other players, who are generally age 12 to 22-ish, for whom that kind of posturing seems to be regarded as a necessity to build social respectability, and which I find, frankly, unendurable.

2) I've never been able to cheat/swindle people, nor have I felt any desire to do so. I've never been able to trash-talk or backstab or gossip. I am deeply uncomfortable with the idea of manipulating/using/exploiting people, including doing so to take advantage of them when they've made a mistake (in fact I am appalled the behavior of those who swoop in to manipulate/exploit/use someone who's made a mistake) and always have been. I've been around people who do these things as easily as breathing, and it has always been a deep mystery to me how they are able to stand doing it. The aversion has nothing to do with any external religious code of commandments or suchlike, either.

3) This one seems least likely to be possibly NDE related, but: the last many years, I have had a motto I deliberately live by: "Live aloha." (Aloha also means 'love'.) I had a terrible love-starved, affection-free, neglect and abuse filled childhood, and the people around me were frankly both densely ignorant and casually cruel. I finally could not tolerate the casual cruelty and selfishness that was the culture anymore and fled to Hawaii eight years ago next month, where living aloha is by far the rule and not the exception among the people. Love is of paramount, primary importance to me, and everything else is a far distant second. I'm not sure this attitude was triggered by a forgotten NDE, because it seemed to me at the time that I made the move that it was more a reaction to all those years of cruelty making me absolutely, frantically desperate to live among people who were focused on kindness and aloha as I found the energy of cruelty and ignorance very much too uncomfortable to bear any longer.

4) Mentioned in another post: In grade school, possibly in fourth grade, I had a dream where enemies who were marching me to my death died at the same time I did, and after the death, I deeply saw that we were all the same after all, and that our roles had just been roles and were now cast off. I'm not sure if any potential NDE had anything to do with it, but it seems likely/probable, if one in fact occurred. All my adult life, I have never been able to take the stories we tell ourselves to divide ourselves from one another seriously at all. I know other people take these stories about gender, race, religion, etc. seriously, and I try to behave in accordance with them in ways that won't get me ostracized or worse by the people who still think the stories are true, but it's always an awkward and stilted act because I know those stories aren't reality.

This is long enough as it is. I may post more later.

Marguy
test

Re: Forgotten NDEs with aftereffects anyway?

Post by Marguy » Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:48 am

Hi Mirenithil,

Yes this is a long account, but it is very interesting.
The name 'near-death experience' was given because most people have this type of experience close to death or at death. But there are many, many accounts when people had this type of experience,
just simply like that,
during meditation, or prayer,
in difficult life situations etc.
I would rather call them mystic experiences.
Also many experiencers forget about their experience during long years and then suddenly at a certain situation everything is coming up.
In one of those experiences I read that the person told, that in our days there would be more and more children born with 'latent memories', knowing where they had been before birth, but not having a clear access to those memories. He said, they will be like a new breed of people.
It is probably worth of thinking about.
Anyhow I think that it is nice that you are the way, you describe. It is a refreshing thought to know that not all young people crave for violence etc. and you are right with games and movies. Unfortunately the more thrill and violence they contain the more people are attracted.
Regards
Marguy

CathyK
test

Post by CathyK » Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:20 am

Hello Mirenithil

I enjoyed reading your thought provoking post. You said you may post more later - I hope you do say more on this subject.

I found myself in complete harmony and agreement with all that you said. I am similar.
1) an extreme discomfort with violence
~ I too cannot bear violence or cruelty
2) I've never been able to cheat/swindle people, nor have I felt any desire to do so.
~ me neither. It wouldn't occur to me and nor would I have the guile.
3) ...... a reaction to all those years of cruelty making me absolutely, frantically desperate to live among people who were focused on kindness and aloha as I found the energy of cruelty and ignorance very much too uncomfortable to bear any longer.
~ I had a childhood of cruelty & neglect. Between the ages of 3 - 10 years I was in several Children's Homes where cruelty, abuse and neglect are rife. Notwithstanding this I am a very loving & giving person.
4) ...... I deeply saw that we were all the same after all, and that our roles had just been roles and were now cast off.
~ I didn't have a dream leading to this realisation. When I was a child I frequently had the feeling that we are all enacting roles and that the world is our stage. None of it is 'real' and that when it is over we will all recognise each other as dear friends.

I have never thought that I was transformed by a forgotten NDE. I do, though, feel that I have been shaped by my life thus far.

Do you have premonitions, see spirits, intuit things easily? These are also said to be after-effects of having an NDE.

I hope you write some more on the subject!

Cathy

Jem7
test

Post by Jem7 » Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:51 pm

Hi Mirenithil,

You make really good points and I don't think you are alone in your beliefs!
I hope the world outgrows this selfish phase soon. You and many NDErs can see it, but many others cannot see it.

CathyK
test

Post by CathyK » Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:14 pm

Good evening Mirenithil

Your name is intriguing ~ is it Egyptian?

Cathy

Mirenithil
test

Post by Mirenithil » Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:52 pm

Hello, Marguy: “In one of those experiences I read that the person told, that in our days there would be more and more children born with 'latent memories', knowing where they had been before birth, but not having a clear access to those memories. He said, they will be like a new breed of people.” I’ve encountered that belief before. I think some people call them either crystal children or indigo children? I am afraid I don’t share that belief. I would like it to be true, admittedly. The world could really do with an influx of people like that.

Hello, Cathy: My username is nothing meaningful; it’a just a mash of two Tolkein Elvish words I put together maybe 10 years ago, because I needed a username for something. I’ve used it often since then, because it’s never already taken whenever I need to sign up somewhere new. My intuition/premonition comes and goes. I am not sure if I percieve spirits well or not, because I am always worried about projecting what I’d like to see or hear. I do have the occasional experience with spirits that have that 'this is unmistakably real' feeling to them, but I hesitate to say "well that means they -are- real, then," as we both know of many, many people and groups of people who feel the same sort of thing and are in fact wrong. I -have- had an objective experience of spirit playing a mischievous, innocent trick on me, for what it's worth.

Hello, Jem: 100% amen.