Buddhism vs. Hinduism

Unusual Experiences, Philosophy,Hinduism, Buddhism, Reincarnation
LifeReview
test

Buddhism vs. Hinduism

Post by LifeReview » Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:07 pm

LINK: Buddhism vs. Hinduism

LINK: Buddhism vs. Hinduism [pub]http://www.diffen.com/difference/Buddhi ... nkerButton[/pub]

I find these differences hard to understand sometimes.
Do you all feel that this summary is accurate?

DennisMe
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Buddhism vs. Hinduism

Post by DennisMe » Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:44 am

My feeling is that the importance of the caste and gender dependent Dharma is not clearly shown in this comparison.

IE "status of Women". It is not mentioned that their Dharma makes them dependent on their spouses / marital status. In the past this lead to mass suicides by widows.

This is not to disparage Hindu's but the Dharma really forms the basis of Hindu practice and should be more prominent.

LifeReview
test

Post by LifeReview » Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:55 am

Thanks Dennis!

Hinduism is really interesting, but of course it has some baggage, like all religions do.

For example, people think Karma is about punishment, when in fact it's about training an individual to see everything from a wise, full perspective. When people misunderstand Karma, you get weird things, like indifference to the plight of the poor. "Oh, it's their Karma. They probably sinned in a previous life... "

{These are personal opinions, not NDERF poitions. I'm an unpaid volunteer with various views on life too.}

DennisMe
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DennisMe » Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:35 am

I agree that all religions have their share of baggage.

What I see going on in the world makes me think that a person's religion doesn't matter much. In the end its what they do with it that counts. How they interpret their sacred texts and traditions is much more important than what is in them.

To me the magic starts to happen when love and compassion are held in higher esteem than texts and beliefs. There will always be a way to make everything fall into a better perspective when your perspective is love.

LifeReview
test

Post by LifeReview » Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:18 am

Hi Dennis,

I agree!
I think a lot of the NDEs back that up. They talk about love being the most important thing, including loving ourselves enough to enable forgiving ourselves. It appears this is all a big illusion and similar to a classroom. If you are into philosophy, you may enjoy reading or listening to Allan Watts!

DennisMe
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DennisMe » Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:01 pm

Am enjoying an Alan Watts lecture very much right now..
Thanks for the tip!

dnix71
test

Post by dnix71 » Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:15 pm

Under Buddhism:
Views on other religions Buddhism sees no contradiction in following more than one religion.

This one makes Buddhists look stupid. Jesus claimed He was the ONLY way to the Father. Mohammed on the other hand said Jesus was only Mary's son, as God does not have a Son and salvation is by works (good deeds outweighing the bad.) Those of the tribe of Judah claim the same Father in Heaven as Christians, but deny Jesus is a separate person who is the same Spirit in nature as the Father.

I may not agree with Jews or Muslims about the way to Heaven, but we are not so stupid as to be openly dishonest with each other. The Bahai faith also claims that the world's openly contradictory religions as merely stages of development in humanity's understanding of God.

Both Buddhism and Bahai deserve whatever evil befalls them simply for treating the rest of us as too stupid to see the contradictory claims of different religions. Also, any religion that does not acknowledge a Creator receives no respect from me.

To claim that all of what we see and cannot see "just happened" or "it doesn't matter" isn't playing with a full deck. If there is a God, how can it not matter?