Good NDE youtube playlists and pages

Ace
test

Good NDE youtube playlists and pages

Post by Ace » Wed Sep 30, 2015 1:06 pm

Here are some of the sites I enjoy. I'd love to know if anyone else has recommendations.

IANDS videos, including some new ones from the 2013 conference:
https://www.youtube.com/user/IANDSvideos/videos

The Horizon Foundation:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 42B2A726BA

A real mix of interesting stuff:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... ugRhS5LXOM

NDE Documentaries and lectures:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... yqr6vg-3I5

Personal NDE accounts:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... _tYLtIwIaY

hereandback
test

Re: Good NDE youtube playlists and pages

Post by hereandback » Wed Sep 30, 2015 3:40 pm

Ace,
Great sites! However, I’m always wary about sources because of financial motivation. I just watched the movie, “Heaven is for Real”. It’s about a little boy who visits heaven and Jesus, and returns. I’m not saying that it isn’t true (for him), but my NDE doesn’t substantiate his claims. My NDE didn’t differentiate between any religions, or expose me to a place called ‘hell’, or someone other than GOD/HP (meaning the primary or ultimate source) that is the end of all things. When a story, like the movie ‘Heaven is for Real’, only suggests a Christian point of view (I am Catholic), I become skeptical. I look forward to exploring your suggestions.

Ace
test

Post by Ace » Wed Sep 30, 2015 4:13 pm

I totally get where you are coming from. Most of what I'm interested in are the more scholarly talks, but it's interesting to hear some first hand experiences too.

I really like the IANDS website, but even there it's important to use some critical thinking skills. At the last IANDS conference two of the featured speakers were members of an organization referred to in scholarly literature by the International Cultic Studies Association as a cult. One of the speakers had the audience doing her organization's mantra and reportedly there were pamphlets about this group passed out in order to recruit new members at the conference.

So even at an IANDS conference, you have to use critical thinking skills. I'm kind of surprised they didn't vet the speakers better.

hereandback
test

Post by hereandback » Wed Sep 30, 2015 4:27 pm

Ace,
I appreciate your feedback. I always look for scholarly references, when I am doing graduate work. However, when it comes to NDE’s, there isn’t anything that I’ve come across that can be specifically referenced…empirically. NDEs are subjective. Being a man of science, I always venture to explore other people’s experiences. I have my own, so that is what I go by. I look forward to reading more of your posts.
Tom

Ace
test

Post by Ace » Wed Sep 30, 2015 5:26 pm

Keep in mind that all of science is based on personal observations. It's possible to bring science to NDEs.

In a recent talk, Bruce Greyson showed a way of quantifying "realer than real". We all say it, but who knew it could be quantified? (Apparently Bruce did.)

According to Dr Greyson:

"Most near-death experiencers say that the experience was "realer than real". That's an important thing to know. How do you measure that?

Well, actually there is a scale of memory that looks at real vs imagined memories, and using this scale we can really differentiate memories of things that really happened from memories of things that people just think happened but didn't really happen. And this has been documented for 30 years now.

If you ask near-death experiencers to rate their near death experience memories along this scale, what do you think happens?

They are "realer than real".

So here we have some documentation that NDEs really are "realer than real" that we couldn't have gotten just from the narratives themselves."

http://www.skeptiko-forum.com/attachmen ... al-jpg.593

Garry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Garry » Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:02 pm

Hi Ace

Garry here I read your post and then I corrected your link but it takes me to the Skeotico website log in page

Before i , myself would log in to that forum or join I'd like to know a little more about it and possibly others here might feel the same.

If you could give us a bit of a run down on the site it would be appreciated

Thanks

Garry

nderf.me Administrator

Why Am I Here

One Look Dictionary

Garry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Garry » Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:03 pm

Hi Ace

Garry here I read your post and then I corrected your link but it takes me to the Skeotico website log in page

Before i , myself would log in to that forum or join I'd like to know a little more about it and possibly others here might feel the same.

Thanks

Garry

nerf.me Administrator

Why Am I Here

One Look Dictionary

Ace
test

Post by Ace » Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:35 pm

Garry wrote:Hi Ace

Thanks

Garry

nderf.me Administrator
Sorry about that, Gary. It's the forum for the Skeptiko podcast, which does a lot of NDE themed shows, so it's probably familiar to at least a few people here. I could just post the jpg directly if I knew how. It's just a graph from Bruce Greyson's lecture.