Divination systems + Symbols

If you are not sure where to post it, then stick it in here and maybe we will move it somewhere
learnerjordan

Divination systems + Symbols

Post by learnerjordan »

Hey guys! Thank you for the interaction on my last post! I haven’t been able to research the entirety of your replies yet, but i’m getting there.

I was wondering if any of you practice any divination systems? Tarot, i ching, runes, astrology, etc. Because I’ve learned of the importance of astrology through that post!

Also, Tarot is heavily intertwined with astrology.

Anybody practice, or study symbolism in any way?
learnerjordan

Re: Divination systems + Symbols

Post by learnerjordan »

anthonychip wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2024 6:38 am
learnerjordan wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2024 12:57 am
Anybody practice, or study symbolism in any way?
learnerjordan, after I met PMH Atwater in the mid 1990s, I bought her book on RUNES and a set of runes to toss...

my mother believed in astrology, however, she never limited my freedom to think in any way, so I studied science...

tossing RUNES was really the first time I actually tried something that was not about laws of chemistry or physics :)

I was ASTONISHED that the RUNES actually seemed to know what I was thinking and even transcended time and place...

I decided that anything that could read my mind was too scary for me to continue doing, so I have no current practice :)

Haha i get that! a couple friends of mine said I can be scarily accurate with a tarot reading.
learnerjordan

Post by learnerjordan »

anthonychip wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2024 3:23 pm
learnerjordan wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2024 2:47 pm
Haha i get that! a couple friends of mine said I can be scarily accurate with a tarot reading.
Yeah, it seems like symbolism is a way we get to see the actual way our minds view reality?
Yes! I just finished reading Lynnclaires NDE, I am still reading the resources you shared, but she shared some very great insight into it.

In jungian psychology, symbolism is created in the human mind. these symbols influence our entire lives. We see these symbols in dreams, and the interpretation of each symbol in a dream is personal.

He also coined the term “collective unconscious” the archetypes and symbols that influence societies as a whole, and the world at large.

So in my briefs, these symbols & personal symbols are way to connect with the universe/god/self. This is why tarot/runes/divination systems are great for self reflection and foreseeing future events.
ADMINDiane
Site Admin

Post by ADMINDiane »

Hi Jordan. I used to fancy Tarot cards. I actually became quite good at it :)
"Meglio soli che malaccompagnati"
Giulia
Site Admin

Post by Giulia »

I bought a book last year, along with a few oracle card decks. The book title is HOW TO READ ORACLE CARDS. BE YOUR OWN ORACLE by Rebecca Hannah. I thought I’d quote from the book here.
Jung proposed the idea of something called the collective unconscious. The collective unconscious refers to deep layers of the unconscious mind where shared sets of beliefs, archetypes and moral attitudes reside. Within the collective unconscious we find archetypes. Jung understood archetypes as universal, mythic images that derive from the pool of the collective unconscious and are instinctive to all humans. They’re the myths of every culture, the dragons, the princesses, the heroes and the villains. Jung differed from his contemporaries in that he was not a materialist, he saw humans as spiritual beings on a journey towards individuation and integration of the shadow self.

Jung’s idea of the unconscious transcended the personal into something beyond. In Jung’s view, the unconscious mind communicates to us through the metaphor of symbol and thus only understands information through the use of symbolic language.

Oracle and tarot cards are comprised of symbols and images, they speak to us on a deeper level than mere words. To access the wisdom of the unconscious we mindfully shuffle an oracle deck and allow it to highlight the messages we need from the cards. As you become more proficient with cartomancy, you’ll begin to see that you can look at the same card multiple times, but each time receive a different answer. This is your unconscious mind at work!

THE HERO’S JOURNEY

Another great thinker that deserves a mention is American Professor Joseph Campbell (1904-1987). He wrote an incredibly influential book called A Hero with a Thousand Faces (1949).

He proposed that most of the worlds mythologies portrayed an archetypal hero’s journey and that this was the blueprint for almost all of the myths on earth. In a sense, we’re all on our own hero’s journey, yes that little thing call life on this beautiful blue marble.

We’ve heard the call to adventure, we’re facing the dragon in its lair each day at work and at school. We are pursuing the hero’s rebirth and the champions return as we wade through the ups and downs of modern life. Indeed, it’s hard work being human in age that could well be described as the Kali Yuga.

Oracle cards can be used to further your spiritual development. They give you a frame of reference for all the astonishing, joyful and painful things that happen to you. They’re an invaluable compass on your own hero’s journey. Tarot and oracle cards have been an immense help to me over the years, no matter how much my spiritual practice waxes and wanes (depending on exactly just how stressed I am), I always have time to check in with myself and pull a card. Even if I occasionally fling it across the room in frustration. Be warned the cards don’t always tell you what you want to hear and some of them can be downright sassy!

ANIMISM AND ORACLE CARDS

Even though most diviners work within the psychological model as described above, there’s a less popular viewpoint that perceives the tarot as ensouled with spirits. This model is known as the spirit model.

For more information on the models of magic see Condensed Chaos: An Introduction to Chaos Magic (2012) by Phil Hine. This animistic understanding of the tarot as ensouled with kindly spirits makes it a useful tool for spirit contact. Oracle cards are a bit different because they don’t originate in the same archetypal pool as the tarot but that doesn’t mean they can’t be used in this manner. If this sounds a bit freaky to you then have no fear, it’s all subjective opinion and remember we are only discussing benevolent spirits here!

According to anthropologists, animism is the preceding belief system from which all religious thought stems. Therefore, to see your deck as a tool for spirit communication is not too much of a stretch of the imagination… unless you are an atheist, in which case, hello, I am a crazy person to you! We’ll briefly examine how oracle cards can be utilised for spirit contact with benevolent intelligences later in the book.

CAN ORACLE CARDS PREDICT THE FUTURE?

I’m afraid there’s no easy answer to this question and I can only speak from personal experience. While I’ve had the odd event seemingly predicted through the cards, I don’t use tarot and oracle cards to predict the future. Rather, I feel they’re a mirror. Carl Jung said that the mirror illuminates who or whatever looks into it. We look at the cards symbols and they reflect back to us a deeper truth, the one that’s buried within us. Jung saw the divine quest as lying within, where great wisdom and consciousness lies. Tarot and oracle cards help us to go within and do the work to confront the shadow.

YOU DON’T NEED TO BE PSYCHIC

You don’t need to be psychic to read the cards. ‘Psychic’ brings up all sorts of connotations and I think it is best left at the proverbial front door. We’re all intuitive. Most of us just have to work on it a bit more. Which is why oracle card reading is useful because it interfaces with the part of you that’s linked to something bigger. Many refer to this as the ‘Higher Self’, Jung referred to it as ‘the Self’. It’s the part of you that’s divine but also touches the divine beyond.

WHY ORACLE CARDS?

Understanding why you want to use oracle cards can help you as you move forward on this path. Do you want to learn oracle cards because you think you’ll be able to predict the future? As we just said that’s not really possible. Are you wishing to connect more to your intuition? Or perhaps, you’ve just started exploring occult ideas and you feel drawn to learning how to read the cards for your own spiritual development? Whatever the reason, try to get clear on it. This reason will help guide you as you progress forward on your journey.
learnerjordan

Post by learnerjordan »

Giulia wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2024 5:02 am I bought a book last year, along with a few oracle card decks. The book title is HOW TO READ ORACLE CARDS. BE YOUR OWN ORACLE by Rebecca Hannah. I thought I’d quote from the book here.
Jung proposed the idea of something called the collective unconscious. The collective unconscious refers to deep layers of the unconscious mind where shared sets of beliefs, archetypes and moral attitudes reside. Within the collective unconscious we find archetypes. Jung understood archetypes as universal, mythic images that derive from the pool of the collective unconscious and are instinctive to all humans. They’re the myths of every culture, the dragons, the princesses, the heroes and the villains. Jung differed from his contemporaries in that he was not a materialist, he saw humans as spiritual beings on a journey towards individuation and integration of the shadow self.

Jung’s idea of the unconscious transcended the personal into something beyond. In Jung’s view, the unconscious mind communicates to us through the metaphor of symbol and thus only understands information through the use of symbolic language.
I seen your thread on dreams, and she forgot only 1 aspect of his thought, which is, the unconscious mind uses dreams to communicate these symbols! I haven’t read the entirety of your thread but I thought this might be informative for you:)
Last edited by learnerjordan on Mon Jun 24, 2024 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
learnerjordan

Post by learnerjordan »

ADMINDiane wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2024 2:26 am Hi Jordan. I used to fancy Tarot cards. I actually became quite good at it :)
Nice!! they are very fun aren’t they?
learnerjordan

Post by learnerjordan »

anthonychip wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2024 7:18 pm
learnerjordan wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2024 5:18 pm
In jungian psychology, symbolism is created in the human mind. these symbols influence our entire lives. We see these symbols in dreams, and the interpretation of each symbol in a dream is personal.

Child prodigies and geniuses, 60 Minutes

Scott Pelley's profile of 12-year-old music prodigy Alma Deutscher. From 2012, Morley Safer's report on math and science prodigy Jake Barnett. From 2013, Safer's interview with teenage science student Jack Andraka, who may have invented an early test for pancreatic cancer. And Bob Simon's 2012 report on 21-year-old chess grandmaster Magnus Carlsen.

#science #music #chess

"60 Minutes" is the most successful television broadcast in history. Offering hard-hitting investigative reports, interviews, feature segments and profiles of people in the news, the broadcast began in 1968 and is still a hit, over 50 seasons later, regularly making Nielsen's Top 10.

0:00 Introduction
0:11 Alma
13:14 Jake
26:35 Boy Wonder
40:04 The Mozart of Chess
Sadly I can’t watch the video but I get the idea you’re conveying in this message.
NDEawakening

Post by NDEawakening »

I have been an astrologer for some 52 years, have formed and led study groups and state-level associations. My recently published book, "NDEs and Awakenings; Narratives with Astrological Corroboration," is probably the first major book that examines NDEs, Awakenings, OOBs and STEs with astrological charting and analysis, plus observations, comments and counseling. While I am in the middle of starting a global marketing campaign and putting together a blog site, I have the time to support this site relative to offering astrological insights.

My unique charting methods and a focus model helps to get into the core of NDE understanding based on the remembered narrative of the NDE experiencer. While a lengthy report, as provided privately, is some 8 to 15 pages long, I can offer shorter comments in this format. Dave
learnerjordan

Post by learnerjordan »

NDEawakening wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2024 2:26 am I have been an astrologer for some 52 years, have formed and led study groups and state-level associations. My recently published book, "NDEs and Awakenings; Narratives with Astrological Corroboration," is probably the first major book that examines NDEs, Awakenings, OOBs and STEs with astrological charting and analysis, plus observations, comments and counseling. While I am in the middle of starting a global marketing campaign and putting together a blog site, I have the time to support this site relative to offering astrological insights.

My unique charting methods and a focus model helps to get into the core of NDE understanding based on the remembered narrative of the NDE experiencer. While a lengthy report, as provided privately, is some 8 to 15 pages long, I can offer shorter comments in this format. Dave
Wow! I’d love to hear more about this! you should create a separate topic so we all could discuss that, I believe there is a space where you can post about your book too