Religion versus Spirituality

Unusual Experiences, Philosophy,Hinduism, Buddhism, Reincarnation
tony123
test

Religion versus Spirituality

Post by tony123 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:04 am

A high percent of the people who experienced near-death states claimed that their lives were forever changed by what happened to them. . Experiencers were not returning with just a renewed taste for life and a more spiritual outlook. Specific psychological and physiological changges have been reported. Loss of the fear of death, more spiritual and less religious, , more generous and charitable than before, it seems that this new approach into spirituality MORE SPIRITUAL AND LESS RELIGIOUS is put for discussion.

quivara
test

Re: 1st Topic By Garry in Discussion Group

Post by quivara » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:23 am

Ah, religion versus spirituality. That has bothered me most of my 61 years. I majored in Comparative Religions.

Most religions are understood as formalized, structured belief systems, with fixed dogmas/doctrines which the mass of followers, even entire nations, adhere to, identify with and, largely, presume is the "only way" to reach God/heaven and that non-adherents/believers won't share in this glory. All, in fact, started out as what we would now define as "cults" and aspects of this remain. Most are heiarchial, exclusive and dogmatic. Their scripture, rituals, images and dogma are exclusive and lock their members, often from birth, into a pre-set group think and identity. Independent though or questioning of the "belief system" is prohibited. (Buddhaism would be an exception, except that started out as a philosophy - Buddha said he was no "God" and did not want a religion formed around him.)

Within these rather rigid systems, an number of notable spiritual "mystics" have arisen and been accepted (many others were tortured and killed as heretics). In Christianity, notables include St. John of the Cross, Jacob Boehm and Meister Eckhardt, to name a few. Islam has Rumi and others. Many can find fulfillment within such systems just based just on the comfort of ritual and social/community inclusion, or through "faith" in their scriptures and prayer. I've found few devotees of any formal religion or denomination who have truly studied the scriptures of their faith or it's history, less still who will even question it or consider other faiths equally valid - at least in certain respects. Worse, I find to few actual practioners of their professed faith,e.g., "doing unto others" among professed, church-going Christians.

Spirituality can exist outside such formal/rigid systems via a personal correspondence/communion with the "divine". Many experience this through nature, loving relationships, reading scriptures or other spiritual materials (without priest, Iman or Rabbi, etc.). and private prayers, ceremonies, dance and art. In such private venues, many people come to have "numenous" experiences of their own which confirm to them that "God" exists, or that they too are part of the "divine" and creation - that their lives do have a purpose and a meaning. Some will continue this path within their religious system and others may break away entirely to follow their own path.

I was raise in the Episcopal Church. I like the rituals, the sacred consecrations, the hymns, the music, prayers and fellowship. But, this came not to fulfill me (too much social hypocrisy) and I best "communed" with God alone in nature or through prayers. By my 20s, I could no longer honestly recite the required Nicene Creed. Soon, I chose my own path via spirituality instead of church structure which became to be 1,000 times more fulfilling, if lonely.

I believe it was Dr. Moody who wrote that most NDErs who are protestant Christians will see visions of Christ, Catholics are likely to see St. Mary and so on for each faith and denomination. Swedenborg reported that even non-believers enter their appropriate "heavens" based on how they have lived their lives, but that many rigid Christians were having a hard time in the afterlife due to their wrong thinking and improper living. Dr. George Ritchie wrote simularily.

tony123
test

Post by tony123 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:25 pm

Looking back over the years taking for granted a life long investigation into the so called unknown i confess i do no longer recognize myself. The thirst for knowledge has driven me into all kind of sects and creeds contradictorily either stemming from Western and Eastern tradition- to cut the long story short. i realize now somehow i had to go through all this. i no longer take any interest in biblical reading, neither do i feel inclined to search for wisdom following any supposed spiritual leader. i got tongue tied and lost all my assumed powers into indoctrinate people cause that is what i had been doing in my early teens until i had a full blown obe which has changed my most deeply rooted creeds forever and a day. Intellectual knowledge only cannot respond for a radical change in consciousness. The emotional contact to facts do cause changes. In other words i was initiated by 'i do not know who' into the spiritual reality. We often hear spiritualist people stating to have been initiated by a certain guru from a certain spiritual path supposing that people should follow that specific guru and that path to attain to certain realms and develop certain siddhis or psychic abilities. i have been initiated by a series of mind blowing obes. i no longer have faith in spiritual dimensions, i know they exist and i do not feel like taking part on religious rites although i respectfully take part of them occasionally attending to social events. i never judge religious people and i won't discuss religion.

Garry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Garry » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:04 pm

quivara wrote:Ah, religion versus spirituality. That has bothered me most of my 61 years. I majored in Comparative Religions.

Most religions are understood as formalized, structured belief systems, with fixed dogmas/doctrines which the mass of followers, even entire nations, adhere to, identify with and, largely, presume is the "only way" to reach God/heaven and that non-adherents/believers won't share in this glory.

Code: Select all

[quote="quivara"]Ah, religion versus spirituality. That has bothered me most of my 61 years. I majored in Comparative Religions. 

Most religions are understood as formalized, structured belief systems, with fixed dogmas/doctrines which the mass of followers, even entire nations, adhere to, identify with and, largely, presume is the "only way" to reach God/heaven and that non-adherents/believers won't share in this glory.[/quote]
I am going to do 2 things here

I am going to comment on the comments of quivara but I am also going to try and start a discussion on the use of the BBCodes that are here for the members use .

first off do you see at the top how it shows quivars quoted text made to look pretty

and below that I have shown you the BBCode and how it is used

If you look at the pretty text at the top you see how it says in Bold

quivara Wrote:

now look at the code I have placed there

see how the first of it ( the starting tag ) looks

[quote="quivara"]
Thats what puts the quoted persons mane in bold and makes it say quivara wrote

so code like this

[quote="quivara"]    then your text in between the starting BBcode "tag"  and your ending BBcode "tag"  [/quote]
will give you this out put in the post
quivara wrote: then your text in between the starting BBcode "tag" and your ending BBcode "tag"
it makes it much easier for someone reading the post later on to follow along when you only quote certain parts of what someone else said and then you comment on that one section

It doesn't matter how big your post is as there is unlimited space here to carry on our discussions

If you want to try out some of the BBCode tags that are at the top of each post or reply I will help you to learn them or you can go here to see how the work also

Board index ‹ Introduction Area and Rules ‹ Help Posts ‹ BB Codes

BBCode Help Screens

also when your creating a post on the right hand side underneath all the smiley faces you will see where it says BBCode is ON

the word BBCode is also a link to some help screens for BBCodes

Give it a try and tell me what you think

Garry

Why Am I Here

One Look Dictionary